Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting Hybrid Oaks

Old 02-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Spike

Question Planting Hybrid Oaks

Has anyone had any experience with planting hybrid oak trees solely for mast production. I have heard either really good stories(100lb of acorns per tree by age 4) or really bad stories (1 of 15 trees survived). In particular, I was considering Schuettes oak, which is a cross between a Bur Oak and a Swamp White. There are also others, but a double white oak cross seems to be a logical choice for mast.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Look at Sawtooth Oaks, I think they would work well for you.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Spike

Good recommendation on these. The only problem that I would have with Sawtooth Oaks is that I have been told they are slightly invasive. Is this true? I have heard that they are early acorn producers. I would also question the lifespan on a sawtooth. Any idea what the longetivity would be on these? I am sort of looking to "have your cake and eat it too"
Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have heard the invasive part before, but I know the state of Alabama plants them at a lot of the state parks. I don't think there is much problem with it. Near here there is a large Sawtooth at one of the Florida nurseries that is probably 50 years old, big old tree. People go there all the time and pull seedlings up to transplant.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Spike

I know that sawtooths don't do real good in the far Northern climates. Have heard that they dieback if it gets too cold. I have ordered some of the hybrids from Morse Nursery. They are only three years old now but are growing. I ordered the Schuettes and Burgambel varieties, along with a few Sargeants. Hopefully I will get some positive results from these trees. They promise to be more cold tolerent. I also ordered some Dunstan Chestnuts this year and planted this fall. They sound real promising.