Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

looking for some help

Old 02-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default looking for some help

Hi everyone looking for some help for next year food plots. have permission to hunt a small farm in southern Indiana. The landowner is willing to let us build a couple of small food plots and even help in making them. Was wondering what would be good to plant in these plots. Proably will both be 1 acre or so. any help would be great. Thanks Jerry
Old 02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

For a fall hunting plot, I would plant Buck Forage Oats and then overseed with clover. It would be good to soil test and lime ASAP, but if the soil is good you might be able to get by without it.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Spike

I prefer clover and alfalfa. Like timbercruiser said a pH test is a must. Ask around and see what other people have been using and whats been good but I know they hit clover hard.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like others have said, the Soil test is where it all begins. With out one your just wasting your time & $. From there it'll all depend on the soil results, and what looking at. You may get to put in something this year, or you might be another year away depending on prep you'll need. By that I mean 1- if your looking at a area that hasn't been previous tilled and has a thick sod. You would want to till it, turning the sod to let it rot, and prep the surface. Weed killing it as well. 2- If soil ph comes back too acidic, and it doesn't take much. You may need several tons of lime to get the ph right. Without the proper ph the soil will not utilize any fertilizer spread, and your seed will not grow or taste to its potential.
As a example of my first plot. I turned the soil in summer. That fall I spread 3 tons of lime per acre on it. Let it sit all winter so it was absorbed. Following spring I disc'd the soil to prep the seed bed, fertilized, dragged it out smooth, then seeded.