Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn planter

Old 02-15-2011, 02:44 AM
Fork Horn

Tracker,
The Ford sounds best. If he has a tractor, have him mount it so that you can raise it off of the ground. Turn the wheels and be sure that everything goes around. Especially check the seed knockers, the things inside the seed boxes that go click, click, click. They are available, but are more than $50 each. Also check the openers (shoes), also available, but very expensive. Plates are available on ebay or from a Ford-New Holland dealer. At that price, I wouldn't worry very much about the condition of the fertilizer applicator. If it works, fine, if not, you can spread fertilizer another way. The most important part of the planter is the seed section. Good luck.

Last edited by keyshunter; 02-15-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

I bought an old Dearborn 2 row planter. It was a model 12-88 or something like that. It was 75 bucks too. After doing some research, I found that Dearborn was orignally made by Ford. Sometime in the early 50's, they changed/dropped the Dearborn name on those planters and renamed them a Ford 309 planter. You can find plastic plates occasionally on Ebay for 10-20 bucks each. Mine came with metal plates that had seed spaces that were way too large for my application. I filled in the seed spaces with epoxy putty (it comes in a tube, you mix it up until it's grey, then shape it into place), let it dry overnight, then used a Dremel tool to grind out seed openings in the dried putty that were appropriate for the seed size I was planting.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default Great tips

Thanks .....
Old 02-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a seed spacing chart for the Ford 309.