Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Corn planter

Old 01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Corn planter

Any ideas on what I could look for or buy to plant a few acres of corn ?
I,m thinking an older 2 or 3 row planter .
Something that wont break the bank and wont need constant repair . LOL..
Thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

A nice small corn planter can be had for a good price. No one wants a two row planter anymore. I put in $1,000 as the max price.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...nSearch=Search
Old 01-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you ride around in farm country and look for older equipment sitting around barns just stop and ask someone. Just have a few hundred dollar bills ready to make the deal, you might be ale to get one for three or so hundred.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks

I figured around $500 at most if possible .
I,m just not sure what brand or model would be a low maintanance planter ?
Anyone have a idea of what it cost to plant corn per acre .
Providing I have all the equipment .
Thanks for the ideas .
Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

timbercruiser is right .if you live in farm country your chances are good at finding one cheap. also farm equipment dealers usually have some older stuff on hand.brand doesn't matter much.

i picked up a 2 row 3 pt hitch for $75 in great shape !

buy the round up ready seed. it cost more but is worth the dollars becaus you will have weeds ! get a soil test done to see if your soil needs lime and fertilizer [it will]. spray and kill the area you want planted before you disk/till ! after it comes up you will get weeds and grass but you can safely spray it if you used the round up ready seed !

if you want it to work you will have to spend the money.
don't buy the bag lime or bag fertilizer......it's costly !
try a co-op or farm store where you can buy bulk like the farmers. apply your lime/fertilizer when you work up the ground,this will get it mixed in good. hope this helps !
the above is what i learned the past 3 years.
my biggest mistake was not liming/fertilizing. good luck !
Old 01-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by dog killer
timbercruiser is right .if you live in farm country your chances are good at finding one cheap. also farm equipment dealers usually have some older stuff on hand.brand doesn't matter much.

i picked up a 2 row 3 pt hitch for $75 in great shape !

buy the round up ready seed. it cost more but is worth the dollars becaus you will have weeds ! get a soil test done to see if your soil needs lime and fertilizer [it will]. spray and kill the area you want planted before you disk/till ! after it comes up you will get weeds and grass but you can safely spray it if you used the round up ready seed !

if you want it to work you will have to spend the money.
don't buy the bag lime or bag fertilizer......it's costly !
try a co-op or farm store where you can buy bulk like the farmers. apply your lime/fertilizer when you work up the ground,this will get it mixed in good. hope this helps !
the above is what i learned the past 3 years.
my biggest mistake was not liming/fertilizing. good luck !

Appreciate the heads up on the seed and fertilizer .
I,ve had the PH Tested already .
Ive planted , clover , buck forage oats , and a few different kinds of seed plots , Just figured I,d try the corn to see if I can draw them i during late rut ...
Old 01-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

you can also broadcast the seed and lightly disc it in. won't be in rows but most of it will come up. corn is like candy to a deer. you will not only draw them in you will be providing food thru the winter, which is good all around ! good luck !
Old 02-13-2011, 04:17 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TRACKER
Appreciate the heads up on the seed and fertilizer .
I,ve had the PH Tested already .
Ive planted , clover , buck forage oats , and a few different kinds of seed plots , Just figured I,d try the corn to see if I can draw them i during late rut ...
Better yet, get the year-old seed from your local Co-op. There is a 99% chance it will be RR and will be cheap. Probably 5-10 bucks a bag. They sell it so cheap because they cannot guarantee the germination rates printed on the bag. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Tracker,
If you have a tractor with at least a category 1 3-point hitch, a 2 row mounted planter is the one you want. If not, there are some pull-type 2 row rope-trip planters around, but they are not nearly as easy to transport or maneuver as a mounted planter. Replacement parts for older planters can be a problem. AFAIK seed plates and many parts are readily available for John Deere, International, and Ford planters. Oliver, Allis Chalmers, Massey Ferguson, and others can be difficult to find parts for.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Thanks

I located a few different models some what local .
One is a john deere pull type guy wants $375.
2nd is a ford ,older model 2 row , I believe he said 3 point, with the plastic containers $125.
And 3rd is a dearborn 2 row with the metal tubs . 3 point $75.00
Figure I,ll go with the ford 2 row ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.