Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best late season plot?

Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Spike

I like Elbon or Abruzzi Rye here as the deer wont touch brassicas it will stay green long after WO/WW has turned brown.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Hoz
Spike

I planted full draw here in WI and they tore it up all season. They never even let it grow. Right now they are digging up my clover plots and my winter greens. The neighbor has 2-1/2 acre corn and bean plots standing and the deer are in there thick. If corn is available to them all year, they stick by it all winter. We do have many options for the deer to eat by us. I also had a turnip plot 2 years ago that they did not hit. I am going to plant corn next year and let it stand. It will make a great "shiner blocker" along the road and also give them something to eat as we will leave it up all winter. We have had great luck with Imperial whitetail clover by us. We try new stuff every year!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

1. Corn
  2. Soybeans
  3. Sugarbeets
I would put an attractiveness ratio on them of 40:35:25 (corn:soybeans:sugarbeets).
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Spike

Default Wildlife Management / Food Plots

I plant Rye. Its cheap and your soil doesn't have to have a high PH to grow. The deer are there all year round if your plot if big enough to support the # of deer.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Corn.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always liked corn - still do - but now I'd rather have Standing Soybeans late in the season with 6"-18" of snow. For me -the deer prefer it over all else. I have no doubt that in the absense of soybeans - corn would do just fine. I found that some years I had to knock it down to get them to use it - but neot if we had decent snow.

Turnips have been turning my head lately. Every year I get more use - but still its usually after hunting season and after all the easy beans and corn are gone - look how they've been on it the last couple weeks though!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

came across this on a PA site,
thought it was interesting,
any validity to it?

Now we know the real reason for the massive deer decline in PA. Who knew.............My goodness, the Elk are dropping like flys! We have to save them, even though they are treproducing faster than are the deer.

Release #004-11Jan. 6, 2011For Information Contact:Jerry Feaser717-705-6541
[email protected]ME COMMISSION WILDLIVE VETERINARIAN TO DISCUSS HAZARDS OF ILLEGAL ELK FEEDINGHARRISBURG ? Dr. Walter Cottrell, Pennsylvania Game Commission wildlife veterinarian will discuss the harmful effects of winter feeding of elk at 1 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 29, at the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Elk Country Visitor?s Center at 134 Homestead Dr., in Benezette Township, Elk County.

?While feeding elk is illegal any time of the year, as it causes problems by habituating elk to find food around homes and can be dangerous to those who attempt to feed elk by hand, those who violate this law during the winter also put the elk at risk,? Cottrell said. ?In 2009, there were four cases involving elk that died of rumen acidosis, which is directly related to artificial feeding.
?There were other deaths that we believed were caused by such feeding, but, in those cases the animal was either decomposed or other circumstances prevented us from obtaining the carcass in time for laboratory analysis to take place.?

As part of his 30-minute presentation, Dr. Cottrell will outline how elk, as well as white-tailed deer, adapt to a winter diet of primarily woody vegetation and can die of acidosis caused by a build up of lactic acid in the rumen, which is the chamber of its four-part stomach responsible for fermentation of food. If elk or deer consume too much highly-fermentable grain, such as corn - which is the most common artificial feed put out during winter - the pH level falls quickly and a shock-like syndrome can occur.
Game Commission Wildlife Conservation Officers have cited residents in the elk range for the illegal feeding of elk. In one case, an elk was found lying dead on a pile of corn, and the resident dragged it into the woods in an attempt to conceal the situation.

?This presentation is geared to help local residents understand that the well-intentioned individuals who are illegally feeding the elk are actually creating a situation in which they may be killing the elk,? Dr. Cottrell said. ?For those who truly enjoy seeing elk it is best for them to stop artificially feeding elk and other wildlife. It would be far more beneficial if they were to implement some form of habitat improvement producing cover to reduce weather-related stress or food in the form of digestible native plants on their property.?

For more information on the problems associated with feeding deer and elk, please visit the Game Commission?s website (http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/), put your cursor on ?Self-Help? in the menu bar at the top of the homepage and click on ?Living with White-Tails,? and then click on ?Please, Don?t Feed the Deer? in the ?Related Information? section.