Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Best late season plot?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best late season plot?

What is the best late season plot to attract deer. I hunt in Wisconsin and normally by December we have snow on the ground with temps in the low teens to below zero at times.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Corn is the best by far, especially in a winter like this one.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

too late to plant now.....i'd ask the farmers, see what the deer eat alot of, and will stand through the winter...wont do you any good to plant corn in a soy bean rich area...the deer can take weeks to change their diet, they wont do it fer a handfull of corn.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Spike

turnips/rape works very well,corn will work also. i plant food plots here in mich. want more info e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 12-20-2010, 04:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default Oats

I plant a few areas or buck forage oats . Its an excellent lae season plot .
Last spring I planted a bag of Imperial no plow and it came up great, theres been snow on the ground here in Northern NY for weeks now and the deer are still in it , Although its pretty much ate up .Our season ended a couple weeks ago ..
Old 12-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies. My cousin and I planted close to 1/2 an acre of brassicas this year and the deer never touched it. Haven't figured it out but I have been told they sometimes won't touch it the first year because they don't know that its good for them. Should I try planting it again next year and hope they hit it?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gunther89
Thanks for the replies. My cousin and I planted close to 1/2 an acre of brassicas this year and the deer never touched it. Haven't figured it out but I have been told they sometimes won't touch it the first year because they don't know that its good for them. Should I try planting it again next year and hope they hit it?
like i said...ask the farmers..the deer are going to be eating what is most plentiful, they are not gonna stop eating for 2 weeks just to eat a handful of brassicas; to stop eating again for 2 more weeks to go back to what was most plentiful....ask the farmers what they are harvesting around opening day....after the farmers harvest all of theirs, the deer will go to the only crop left standing..i.g your plot.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 AM
Fork Horn

Beg to differ on planting the same as everyone else. I have always planted something different to give the deer a menu much the same as us when we choose what type of restaurant to go too.

I had the same issue when I planted Brassicas the first time, about 8 years ago. I tried different brands until I found one (Evovled Harvest Shot Plot) the deer just had to have. The neighbors plant corn, beans and clover and I have the turnups, rape and clover. The deer have the best of all worlds and we all are able to benefit.

As far as corn being the best I can not believe that either. If there is standing corn, beans and brassicas next to eachother and there is 15 inches of snow on the ground the deer will still dig for the beans and brassicas in our field and surrounding areas. Once the beans and brassicas are gone then they hit the corn. Deer figure out real fast what stays with them the longest and I can tell you corn does not digest well during the coldest months in WI.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

There is 30 inches of snow in NW Wisconsin now. Brassicas and soybeans are buried deep. Corn holds its food up high where it can be reached in deep snow. Corn can be digested all winter if it is always available. My turnips and beans were hammered in the first light snows, but in deep snow like this year they are now in the neighbors standing corn.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

dbllunged: What brands have you planted that didn't work? We planted shot plot this year and they didn't hit it, so that's why I asked what other brands you have planted. I am thinking about trying Full Draw from Biologic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.