HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Will it work???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/332665-will-work.html)

lswoody 10-25-2010 03:49 PM

Will it work????

Thinking of putting a kidde pool in one of my hunting areas and putting some water in it. Will this get results???? Was thinking of adding water every 4 or 5 days. Thanks!!!!

lswoody 10-26-2010 03:45 PM

Wow. 31 views and no one has replied. How about opinions on whether it will or won't work???? Anyone?????

not the dogs 10-26-2010 03:59 PM

I think that it will. There is a tub near my blind and I have seen a doe drinking from it.

browtine7 10-26-2010 04:09 PM

sounds like a pain in the a$$ and real time consuming to be hauling water every 4 days.

psandhu 10-27-2010 07:02 AM

I agree with bowtine. It's alot of work for not necessarily alot of good results. Besides, one well placed hoof will puncture the plastic. Perhaps a smaller livestock tank would be better. Or even a 55 gallon poly drum cut in half. I can get the 55 gallon drums around here for $5. You can cut it in half horizontally and make 2 great big "buckets" or you can cut in half vertically and make 2 average size troughs. No deer is going to poke a hole in poly with a hoof, and I'm sure the kiddie pools cost more than $5.

dusters84 10-27-2010 08:52 PM

The scent you leave from having to refill it could cause problems. We have made some small ponds with tarps that have worked out pretty well. I would put a tarp under the pool and dig a hole and it might actually just hold water.

habitat 10-28-2010 08:23 AM

Look for a natural low area and dig out,unless reall sandy it will hold water,I have one that is just in the edge of trees and i can haul 60 gallons to it if needed.Alot of guys on qdma.com build water sources and have some good ideas

lswoody 10-28-2010 05:05 PM

Thanks guys!!!!

jrfrmn 03-20-2011 06:05 PM

Barrels

Originally Posted by psandhu (Post 3710095)
I agree with bowtine. It's alot of work for not necessarily alot of good results. Besides, one well placed hoof will puncture the plastic. Perhaps a smaller livestock tank would be better. Or even a 55 gallon poly drum cut in half. I can get the 55 gallon drums around here for $5. You can cut it in half horizontally and make 2 great big "buckets" or you can cut in half vertically and make 2 average size troughs. No deer is going to poke a hole in poly with a hoof, and I'm sure the kiddie pools cost more than $5.

Just curious, Where do you buy these barrels.

psandhu 03-21-2011 08:00 AM

There was a factory here in town called Re-Con. They cleaned out and reconditioned 55 gallon metal and plastic drums. They probably went through 500+ barrels a day.

You might try a restaurant for a poly drum. Some of their foodstuffs come in those drums.

marquismarc 03-24-2011 05:11 PM

I plan to make one this year out of a small 10-30 gallon preformed pond kit. I am going to plumb it so there is a Plastic 55 gallon drum full with fresh water that automatically tops it off when it gets low using a float leveler.

psandhu 03-25-2011 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by marquismarc (Post 3790782)
a Plastic 55 gallon drum full with fresh water

How are you going to keep the 55 gallon drum full of water? I suppose if you had an ATV, several 5 gallon water jugs and a source of fresh water you could top it off every week.

Alex G. 03-25-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by lswoody (Post 3709068)
Thinking of putting a kidde pool in one of my hunting areas and putting some water in it. Will this get results???? Was thinking of adding water every 4 or 5 days. Thanks!!!!

Is where you hunt that dry that you need to put out a water source?

marquismarc 03-25-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by psandhu (Post 3790943)
How are you going to keep the 55 gallon drum full of water? I suppose if you had an ATV, several 5 gallon water jugs and a source of fresh water you could top it off every week.

I do have an atv and I am making a bracket that will hold a drum on the front rack. I will fill the drum up at the house and drive it to the drum in the woods and attach a hose between them and let gravity do it's job.

psandhu 03-26-2011 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by marquismarc (Post 3791017)
I do have an atv and I am making a bracket that will hold a drum on the front rack. I will fill the drum up at the house and drive it to the drum in the woods and attach a hose between them and let gravity do it's job.

I did something similar to that a few years ago. I had planted about an acre of pumpkins, and it was a dry summer. I put a 55 gallon drum on its side in the bucket of a FEL. The big bunghole was at the top, that's how I filled it. The smaller bung at the bottom had threads that accepted a garden hose. I drove the tractor to the pumpkin patch, raised the bucket, and moved from plant to plant with the water hose.