Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Will it work????

Old 03-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

I plan to make one this year out of a small 10-30 gallon preformed pond kit. I am going to plumb it so there is a Plastic 55 gallon drum full with fresh water that automatically tops it off when it gets low using a float leveler.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by marquismarc
a Plastic 55 gallon drum full with fresh water
How are you going to keep the 55 gallon drum full of water? I suppose if you had an ATV, several 5 gallon water jugs and a source of fresh water you could top it off every week.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lswoody
Thinking of putting a kidde pool in one of my hunting areas and putting some water in it. Will this get results???? Was thinking of adding water every 4 or 5 days. Thanks!!!!
Is where you hunt that dry that you need to put out a water source?
Old 03-25-2011, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by psandhu
How are you going to keep the 55 gallon drum full of water? I suppose if you had an ATV, several 5 gallon water jugs and a source of fresh water you could top it off every week.
I do have an atv and I am making a bracket that will hold a drum on the front rack. I will fill the drum up at the house and drive it to the drum in the woods and attach a hose between them and let gravity do it's job.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by marquismarc
I do have an atv and I am making a bracket that will hold a drum on the front rack. I will fill the drum up at the house and drive it to the drum in the woods and attach a hose between them and let gravity do it's job.
I did something similar to that a few years ago. I had planted about an acre of pumpkins, and it was a dry summer. I put a 55 gallon drum on its side in the bucket of a FEL. The big bunghole was at the top, that's how I filled it. The smaller bung at the bottom had threads that accepted a garden hose. I drove the tractor to the pumpkin patch, raised the bucket, and moved from plant to plant with the water hose.