HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Tecomate Ultra Forage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/329726-tecomate-ultra-forage.html)

HardwoodHunter 09-13-2010 10:20 PM

Tecomate Ultra Forage

I've recently planted some tecomate ultra forage, I prepared the ground well and everything. I was just wondering if others have used this seed mix and what their personal thoughts were. Any input would be interesting! thanks!

Robv2007 09-14-2010 04:17 AM

I planted it last year and considered the plot a total failure. The plants barely came up and those that did the deer just ate immediately. Maybe others have had better experiece

Ben / PA 09-14-2010 05:29 PM

I had great success with planting and growing, but there deer didn't ever eat it. It's mostly T rape, not much bulbs, all tops. The deer were in it early, but never hammered it. Can't figure out why deer weren't on it after the frost. I planted earlier than this though. You should still be ok as long as we don't get hard frost till mid Oct.

HardwoodHunter 09-14-2010 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ben / PA (Post 3682352)
I had great success with planting and growing, but there deer didn't ever eat it. It's mostly T rape, not much bulbs, all tops. The deer were in it early, but never hammered it. Can't figure out why deer weren't on it after the frost. I planted earlier than this though. You should still be ok as long as we don't get hard frost till mid Oct.

yeah, before I planted I read that it takes about 45 days to reach its full potential. So i went to weather.com, looked up annual temperature averages 45 days after the day i planted and even in the night it is around 35-40 degrees. So i hope it grows and the deer like it. It also rained hardcore after i planted it....anyone think that may effect it in a negative way?....

Ben / PA 09-16-2010 05:58 AM

The rain? Unless it is on a hill and you had flash flood type rain, it's a great thing to get a downpour after planting. Hell, I try for that. It puts the seed in excellent contact with the soil. Good luck with your plot, mine grew great, the deer just weren't interested. I am trying the globe/bulb type turnip out this year to see if they like it better.

HardwoodHunter 09-16-2010 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ben / PA (Post 3683407)
The rain? Unless it is on a hill and you had flash flood type rain, it's a great thing to get a downpour after planting. Hell, I try for that. It puts the seed in excellent contact with the soil. Good luck with your plot, mine grew great, the deer just weren't interested. I am trying the globe/bulb type turnip out this year to see if they like it better.

It's not on a hill, however, it downpoured for 2 and 1/2 days...just got a little uneasy about it. thanks for the reassurance haha.

BarnesX.308 09-20-2010 09:34 AM

Ben - remember last year in northern PA? We had about 8 inches of snow on the ground in October. That May we also had a late frost that killed all our apples. :s6:

Ben / PA 09-20-2010 06:26 PM

Yep, my oats were peaking out of the top of it. The deer were still on them.:)

BarnesX.308 09-21-2010 08:52 AM

Yep, my oats were peaking out of the top of it. The deer were still on them.
That's a good thing. Easy meal for deer in those conditions. Might just attract them to that spot ;)