Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Turnips Looking Good (pics)

Old 09-06-2010, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turnips Looking Good (pics)

I checked on our turnip plot this weekend and they're doing great. The deer should be eating good this year.
Attached Thumbnails Turnips Looking Good (pics)-labor-day-turnips-close-up.jpg   Turnips Looking Good (pics)-labor-day-turnips.jpg  
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

yeah, i'm more than jealous. Not gunna lie haha. Next year i'm definitely putting in the time and effort, just couldn't find the time this year. Good luck!!
Old 09-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

When did you plant them? I planted mine the last week of July and they are still very small, the deer have been eating them as soon as they sprout which is really annoying me. It has been very dry up here but I feel like they should be bigger. Last weekend they were about 1" tall, we'll see what they look like next weekend but I have not been impressed with mine so far.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

When did you plant them? I planted mine the last week of July and they are still very small, the deer have been eating them as soon as they sprout which is really annoying me.
Mid -June. We had the same problem last year as you are having this year. We planted the other field in clover and it kept most of the deer over there until the turnips could get big.

Also, one of the other guys that hunts our property sprung for a soil test, lime and fertilizer for the whole field. That sure helped.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Do you know how much the soil test cost him?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what he paid. I think they're pretty cheap, though.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

pay's off to do it right.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Typical Buck

I think they look good. Did you topdress them with more N? Turnip love nitrogen, If they are too small for you, and you did a soil test, I can almost guarantee that's your trouble. If you have a couple weeks of growing season left, try hitting them with another 60-100 units of nitrogen.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to get the details. One of the guys lives up there year round and he does most of the work. We just contribute the cash and help out when we're up for the weekend.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Soil test are relatively cheap. In Florida the state charges $7.00 each so that should give you an idea. Check and see what kind of turnaround time the lab will give you if you are in a hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.