Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Implements

Old 08-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Implements

Was wondering what kind of implements folks on here use to work there food plots? I have 5 plots on my place from just under an acre to a bit over a acre. The soil is really rocky and I use a chisel plow to work it with a good drag. I would love to be able to use a disc, but the rocks would tear one apart in no time.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

The food plot arsenal

Old 08-25-2010, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

I've got some rocky ground also and it is hard on equipment. How well a disk holds up to it, is mainly dependent on the make of the disk. A heavy well made disk will do surprising well on rocky ground. Some models are equipped with "rock flex" hangers but adds significant expense. Using a chisel plow or similar equipment prior to disking is one way to alleviate some stress on the disk, but isn't absolutely necessary, with a well made disk. I've had a Athens model 127 for eleven years now and it does an excellent job preparing a field. So far I haven't had any issues with it, rarely do I use a plow of any sort any more.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what I do, discs are overrated. I have and use a one bottom and a two bottom plow, a 25 gallon sprayer, and a 5 foot wide harrow. I have discs, but never really have the need for them. I use all that behind my atv. I would like to add a cultipacker in the future for my turnips, but the harrow, set lightly covers my seed just fine.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

We plant game plots at three widely dispersed places. One place has an old Farmall M tractor with dual wheels, a 7 foot tandem disk and a 12 foot no till drill. Another place has a Mitsubishi D1600 tractor, a brushhog, a spike tooth harrow and an old Ford disc. This tractor and brush hog $3,000 in 2003.
Attached Thumbnails Implements-farm-031-small-.jpg  
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

If your using a chisel plow, I would think a harrow and a drag would be just fine. I think a lot of people try to get there plots to much like a crop field. You just need to get the ground worked up a little, enough so the seed makes good ground contact and let nature do it's thing.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PY Antlers
If your using a chisel plow, I would think a harrow and a drag would be just fine. I think a lot of people try to get there plots to much like a crop field. You just need to get the ground worked up a little, enough so the seed makes good ground contact and let nature do it's thing.

Speakin of nature doin its thing!,,,that pic in your avatar there<-------------- is a prime example of nature at its best
Old 09-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have been wanting to fabricate a 3x4 ft frame with an X from corner to corner, then put sharpened angle Iron 3-4" pieces to scratch the ground, have a set of wheels and axle to flip and transport and a wheight rack. I think it would serve quite well pulling behind my 4 wheeler. I have a lot of places in the woods I'd like to plant some deer grubbage and the smallest disc we have on the farm is 8' and would be kinda difficult in tight spots.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rem700man
Speakin of nature doin its thing!,,,that pic in your avatar there<-------------- is a prime example of nature at its best
Yea! Thats a Dandy eh!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

What part of Arkansas? Sounds like my ground.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.