HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/32809-buck-forage-oats-vs-winter-hardy-oats.html)

Strutter 07-07-2003 11:09 AM

Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats

I have seen and read a lot about the BF oats and wonder how they are different from winter hardy or winter-bob oats. Besides being twice the price and unavailable within 300 miles of here, what is the big difference? Have any of you tried any of the 2 " farm" brands I mentioned? By the time I pay for the seed and shipping on the BF, I could buy 4 X as much of plain old winter oats. How much better is the BF than the others or is the bag the only difference? Do they add something to them that makes them better for deer or what? I am planning on mixing the oats with winter peas in the next couple weeks so I am asking for you experiences on them.

Thanks,
Strutter

timbercruiser 07-07-2003 11:44 AM

RE: Buck forage oats vs. winter hardy oats

Two years ago I planted a 1 1/4 acre food plot of the Buck Forage Oats and the deer loved them. The problem was the population in the area was very high and the deer literally ate the oats off at ground level. I had to top seed with rye grass in mid Dec. to have something green in the field.

Deleted User 07-07-2003 08:17 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

farm hunter 07-07-2003 09:40 PM

My experience with oats has been limited to " spring oats" planted in the fall as a nurse crop that did not winter over. - I' ve never tried BF oats - they do sound like they fill a niche.

Your best bet would be to try a side/by side comparison of the two - in the long run the results would pay for the experiment - (and we' d all benefit as well :D)

Pat - what time of year do you plant turnips - and the next spring - do you re-plant the field - or let them grow?? I' d be interested in that.

Deleted User 07-08-2003 07:38 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

farm hunter 07-08-2003 08:57 PM

Pat - have you tried Dwarf Essex Rapeseed (or canola) in a side by side comparison with the turnips? Both are brassicas, and similar in feed/protein - I think the Rapeseed is alot cheaper though.

I tried the Rapeseed once as a Nurse Crop for clover - the big leafy leaves shaded the small clover all through a very dry summer, and I ended up with one of my best clover plots ever. I wish I could say the deer " turned on" to the Dwarf Essex Rape - but they never seemed to give it a second look, as they browsed the clover very heavily.

Deleted User 07-09-2003 08:05 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]