Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Salt licks

Old 07-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Salt licks

I went out 2 weeks ago and dug some holes with post hole diggers and filled them with livestock salt for deer.It has came a few good rains and has soaked in good.The deer have just walked right by the holes.Is it the wrong time of yr for salt? Or did I do something wrong?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 AM
Fork Horn

Put some corn in your salt to attract their attention. The deer probably do not know it is there yet. This is a great time for salt, and I am sure your salt lick will get hit once the deer find it.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Are there cattle in the area? Salt licks usually do not work well in areas where there are cattle: The deer get their salt at the same place the cattle do.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

No cattle for miles.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

It is the right time to be attracting, but you are about 6 months late on putting it out. I put mine out in February every year, I top off with a little salt in July, but they have been coming for a few months by then.

Also some spots just do better than others, but I'm not 100% sure why. I think lush vegetation and water are key factors.

Here are a few pics from some of my mineral sites(not just salt)...

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Spike

Well like that one man said get something to get their attention. I put a salt block out in the spring on top of a stump and they have ate the salt block, the stump and including all the ground around it in a 3 ft. diameter and still licking the ground.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Alright thanks for the help.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Try a salt lick near a pond that the deer use. i often hunt on 14,000 acres where there are no cattle. Sometimes the deer never find the salt. Every salt lick that i've put near a pond that the deer drink from is being heavily used.