Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Small eagle forage bean plot w/ plotsaver results >

Small eagle forage bean plot w/ plotsaver results

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Small eagle forage bean plot w/ plotsaver results

Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default Small eagle forage bean plot w/ plotsaver results

I got a late start due to a May dry spell. Planted around June 1, followed by 45 days of spraying after every rain(easy lately). I removed the plotsaver two weeks ago. They are definitely getting hammered, but holding up as good as can be expected from a 3/4 acre plot with no agriculture around for a mile in any direction. Notice the new shoots coming in on the plants that have been almost totally eaten.

I have no clue how it will look in September, but I'm optimistic.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah the deer are putting the hurting on 'em for sure, but I guess AG beans would've been completely wiped out on a plot 3 times that size or more. Which type Eagle's are those? I'm still undecided whether or not they're worth the expense for my particular set up.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea they are getting hammered, good looking plot. Cant wait to start putting my fall plots in at the end of august or early sept.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
Yeah the deer are putting the hurting on 'em for sure, but I guess AG beans would've been completely wiped out on a plot 3 times that size or more. Which type Eagle's are those? I'm still undecided whether or not they're worth the expense for my particular set up.
Managers mix. I do really like them, still undecided if they are worth the money. If they are able to still be putting out new shoots in another month, I'd say so. We will see. I'm thinking of trying some conventional forage beans with a pre next year.

I had 8 acres of ag beans behind the house last year, 5 of which were a total loss. These beans are definitely an improvement.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info, definitely worth a good bit. The fact those beans can still put out growth after being browsed that hard is pretty incredible and very well may justify the extra expense when considering how many acres of AG beans it would take to equal the amount of forage.

I'll be anxious to see what they look like toward fall.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a nice plot.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Here are some updated pics from today in the 3/4 acre eagle plot protected by plotsaver for six weeks from planting. Still putting out new shoots! Following these pics are some from a seven acre ag bean field(asgrow 5915) a few miles down the road. Amazing difference, even without considering the difference in acreage.

Eagle beans 3/4 acre

Ag beans in a 7 ac field...I see the future...a insurance man making a trip.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

You must have a lot of fat and happy deer!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those are the kind of pictures I like to see. Too many times I see pictures of lush plants, but the deer aren't feeding on them. The cage tells the tale.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Spike

Nice pix. Where can I get the Eagle plot mix from and do you know if they would do good underneath a Pine/Hardwood forest that gets maybe 50-60 sunlite?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.