Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Burned Out Food Plots?

Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Burned Out Food Plots?

I have several small plots in a clearing in the woods. They are planted in a rye/clover/brassica mix, with the rye being the dominant plant in the crops.

Over the last few weeks, we had no rain and scorching heat. My dad was just up at the camp and said the plots were burned out. Brown and brittle - just like everyone's lawn in this area.

This week it rained for 3 or 4 days. Will my plots come back or will I need to reseed? The plots were limed and fertilized this spring so they are seed ready.

Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

What type of clover and when was it planted ?
Old 07-15-2010, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I planted in mid-May. I forget which kind of clover. It was one of those clover/brassica/rye mixes. Got it at Dick's

The clover and brassica never did too well in those plots. I would say that they are all about 80% rye. Which is OK, because the deer love it. Will the rye bounce back without me reseeding or will there be permanent damage?

Thanks.

By the way, this is in NE Penna, if that matters at all. Elevation is 2400 feet.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

It will really depend on just how far gone it is. Clover typically goes dormant in dry periods, so what was there should come back. Was it rye grass or rye grain? Sounds like more of a fall mix.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it was a rye grain. It's not the grasss like you would plant in your yard. It has a much broader blade and looks more like oats or winter wheat than regular grass.

I bought a bag of Throw and Grow to put down there, too. Although I don't just throw. I rake out the soil with a hard rake and make sure the seeds have good soil contact. I lime in the spring and fall and fertilize in the early spring.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

alfalfa will work excellent,given a choice im betting deer will like it good.its where i hunt muleys
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over the offseason, we put out 6 bails of high-moisture alfalfa (1300lbs each) and the deer ate it all. They sure do like it.

I'll have to see if it grows where I'm planting. I'm planting these plots in the woods. In clearings with low pH and shallow soil. A lot of roots and rocks and the ferns and blueberry bushes are always looking to take over.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I'll have to see if it grows where I'm planting. I'm planting these plots in the woods. In clearings with low pH and shallow soil.
I wouldn't expect much out of alfalfa in those conditions. Alfalfa is what I would consider a "high maintenance" crop, and not suited to many food plotters. I'll be honest, I'm not too sure why that was suggested here when you weren't aksing.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can grow it in the fields, but the woods are tough.

Here's what one of these little plots looked like in the spring. I have about 10 of these in about an acre area in the woods. I'm thinking alfalfa would be tough here. Especially since this is at our hunting cabin, 125 miles from where I live.
Attached Thumbnails Burned Out Food Plots?-plot-blood-bath-stand.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Blueberries need a pH < 5.5, alfalfa needs a ph > 6.5. It will be tough to keep those two plants happy near one another. Grasses can tolerate a much lower pH than alfalfa.

You mentioned the deer love your winter rye, and you had 3-4 days of rain. There is plenty of time to plant rye yet, so wait until about August 1 to evaluate your plots. If they green back up on their own, you are fine. If they are still brown, get some cheap winter rye seed from a local coop and plant it in August.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.