Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

N.Va food plot ?

Old 08-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Typical Buck

Haystack:
The bag of elite that i put out did not have the radishes,,,,i stopped in to marshall co-op on wed. afternoon and the guy in there was still all wound up about these radishes and they will be on the shelf monday morning! They are selling the "Trophy" radish brand,,and im going to buy some and plant them in that area where my truck was sitting in the previous pics. Call me a sucker,,lol,,,but anybody that excited about a product catches my attention and im willing to go all out to give it a try,,,i just wish that i had better equip. for ground prep. I have a two bottom old john deere plow sitting up in Pa. on the family farm and im gonna go up and get it next weekend,,,what would be the latest i can plant these radishes and still hope for a good crop?
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

Late Aug - mid September is the recommended planting date for the radishes in our area. They sprout and grow very fast, the seed is about 3x the size of turnips and easier to plant IMO. They need about 60 lbs. of actual nitrogen per acre for best growth also.

Nothing wrong with growing the Trophy radishes, I'd grow those before going to much trouble looking for the cheaper options.

Honestly Mike, not much ground prep is needed with the radish. If you could spread the fertilize and disk that in followed by spreading the seed and packing is all that's needed. I know where a small 3 point hitch disk is located if you might be interested. I haven't looked at it close and don't know what the man wants for it, but I'm sure it would be less than you paid to fix that tiller
Old 08-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Typical Buck

Haystack:
Im lookin to buy a better disc! as a matter of fact i tried to buy one off the side of the road yesterday but the man wanted to sell an old ford 8n and implements together 1st before he parted them out,,,,if i knew that this lease was ours for a few years to come i would have bought all three from him but theres nothing written in stone. If you get a chance to talk to the guy and can get a phone# i will probably buy that disc from him,,,and thank you for the info!

It's raining here this morning so i took off work to go to the property and pull the card from the camera,,see whats been hitting the food barrel,,,and just sit in the blind until about 9am just to see whats moving,,,,on a side note have you taken notice to the acorn crop in your area? This property is some kinda loaded with them this year and as big around as a .50 cent piece on two of the big oaks!
Thanks again
Mike
Old 08-25-2010, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

Mike - it will be friday before I can meet with the guy about the disk. I'll get the info and take a few pics. Will shoot you a PM asap! And yep, there's a HUGE acorn crop here also this year. I haven't seen white oaks this loaded for 10 years! Should be some fat deer around, but may be a little harder to kill, at least early season any way. I'm getting anxious to do some hunting, that's for sure!
Old 08-25-2010, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Here are a few pics of the turnips. The Rack Master Elite is still not showing much sign of growth. Thanks for the help with the disk, I will watch my inbox.
Thanks, Mike

Old 08-29-2010, 04:58 AM
Spike

http://richmond.craigslist.org/grd/1855383832.html

Take a look at that. Might be of some help.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Thats a dandy right there! If this other thing does'nt work out i'll be callin,,,thanks alot
Old 09-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Haystack:
I tried to message you back but i dont think it went thru for some reason? I got the pics of the disc and im interested,,,i'kll try to give you a call this weekend,,Im pretty sick about my turnip plots,,,,they look horrible! Im not sure if the deer are eating them or the drought has just burnt em up,,,,they have not grown at all in 2 weeks,,,the rackmaster elite is very thin to say the least,,so thin that i think im gonna disk that again and replant something else in there like winter oats or wheat,,,,i have made 2 trips to the plots with 500 gals of water per trip and i think i would have been further ahead to just have taken a case of beer out there and drank it and then p'd the plots wet,,,500 gals does'nt even make it from one end of the plot to the other,,,and then the ground just soaked it right up,,,,im kinda lost and not sure which way to turn this late in the season!
thanks again for all your help and effort with the disk,,,,i really appreciate it especially knowing how busy you are right now with the corn!
Mike