Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
What type would you plant in this situation? >

What type would you plant in this situation?

Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What type would you plant in this situation?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default What type would you plant in this situation?

I hunt a super thick area that has about no trees large enough for a stand so hunt out a blinds. Part of this area say 30 yards wide by 40 yds long is always kept mowed. Deer love this area but I figured w/ a plot all the better. Here is my question what would you guys recommend i can disc up and work ground nicely as i have a small disc for quad it gets plenty of sun. Maybe only problem is deer may devour b4 reaching any sort of maturity. Also thought about putting something up so they wont go in while growing but wont that (plot Barrier etc) possibly keep them from coming back when i want them there Thanks for helping a rookie to the food plot game out I live in western new york by lake ontario for climate purposes also mostly bow hunt oct 15 to nov 15
Old 07-08-2010, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would recomend a clover plot. They are pretty low maintenance once you get them established and can handle heavy grazing. The nice thing about clover is you only need to mow it a couple of times a year and right before season you can go in and lightly disc it and plant some oats for early season.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Spike

I would do red clover. Deer love it!!
Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Probably a clover mix, or brassicas, or some buck forage oats. could even try some peas. I live out in WNY and sell and deliver all of these.
Reed 585 519 1236
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 AM
Fork Horn

I like passthru's idea, clover with a small grain lightly disked in. I would use winter rye though, since it will stay green longer into the fall and give the deer a food source in the very early spring. It can get really cold here by Nov. 1, and rye is still green and eaten by deer.