Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Compact tractor vs quad

Old 09-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Spike

I will also echo the consensus of these threads. I previously owned a Kawasaki 650 Prairie and bought all of the Kolpin Dirtworks Series implements. The ground I wanted to work was compacted and very hard, the disc was able to tear up the weeds and scratch the surface, the cultivator I ended up breaking a tine bracket on it. An atv with implements just doesn't cut it sometimes for breaking virgin or untouched ground after 20 years. Needless to say I sold all the implements and the atv and bought a 43HP 4WD Montana new for $14,500. That combined with a tiller has been a dream working my foodplots this year, It really is all about having the right tools. I just wanted to post and maybe try and save someone some money, I know I took a beating when I sold the implements and wished I had saved a little longer and bought the tractor from the start. Again, if you don't have any other uses for a tractor or intend to do small 1/4 acre plots, then of course stick with the atv, but I promise you if you buy a tractor you will find many other uses for it. Anything to get the seat time. Have fun no matter which way you go, its all about getting out and spending time a field.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 PM
Spike

One thing you didn't say,was how big are your food plots, I use everything from 4 wheelers, to kabota tractors, to John Deere 40/20 tractors,,I'm maintaining 20 acres of food plots and 60 acres of CPR land which has to have 1/3 disked up every year,,,and then you can plant oats on it to stop run off. If you only have a small amount,,the 4 wheeler will work good enough,for larger areas I'd go with a tractor.

Good luck hunting this year everyone, and be safe