Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2-4,D herbicide mixing question

Old 07-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
I don't think you have anything to be worried about, unless your area experiences a very early frost. I'm sure the tassel is right ready to appear, and once it does and the corn pollinates, it will take about 5 weeks and the corn grain should be at the hard dough stage, at least.

Did you plant your soybeans in wide rows?
No, I broadcast them but they are spread out pretty wide, lots of room in between them. The seed didn't take as well this year so I figured I'd throw in some oats to fill in the bare spots. Probably will broadcast over my clover plot as well to use up some of the nitrogen. What do you suggest?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

I'd wait a little longer before broadcasting the oats. It's a good chance they'll mature and become unattractive to early. Brassicas would work purty good planted now if you're deer likes them.

Just my 2 cent tho'.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
I'd wait a little longer before broadcasting the oats. It's a good chance they'll mature and become unattractive to early. Brassicas would work purty good planted now if you're deer likes them.

Just my 2 cent tho'.
Thanks, I'll wait then. Don't care much for brassicas, never had much luck with it.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

The corn pushed cobs the very next week after I posted my earlier question. I had alot of grass grow up among the rows of corn. It will work good for stocking birds this year for training the dogs but next year I am going to give the entire field a good dose of the gly at least twice before preparing the ground for planting. The clover field also needs a complete kill at the top portion of the plot. Probably going to plant annuals (oats and radishes) in that area for next year so I can do a complete kill/burn for 2 consecutive years before replanting clover, maybe trying that kuru clover.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

You are right about weedy corn being attractive to an assortment of game including deer, more so than "clean" corn. Works especially well if you've got a large enough area, if not, given the amount and types of wildlife that feed on it, it just won't last long enough. A lot of weed competition will cut the grain yield in half or more, and the need for herbicides becomes necessary in order to produce enough grain to hold game for an extended time.

In addition to the initial gly application, some sort of pre-emergent can work wonders for weed control. A lot of the good pre-emergents is restricted use, and I'm not sure which is available in PA that doesn't require a license to purchase. A couple that might be available is Princep, Dual Magnum ll/ Me-Too-Lachlor ll, Basis and possibly others.

I've had good results this year with a mix of Atrazine and Pricep in an area that is infested with foxtail, pigweed and several other troublesome weeds. It was on ground that had been worked up, before when I tried it no-till, the results wasn't very good.

This is my biggest problem

Wasteful bastards!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

The only spray I know that will rid that pest is pepper spray and Lead of course. I got them too, 4 of them are always moving through my plot and hunting property. Buying a bear tag again this year for sure! Your crops look good! My corn is doing really well and the soybean while not very high has come in pretty thick. I will be going to our lease in Ohio next week and going to plant the oats b/c we won't be out again till late sept when the archery season comes in. I am figuring on plantin the oats here in Pa on Labor Day. Do you think that is a good time considering the weather we've had this summer?
Old 08-15-2010, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

That bear's a drooling to get your corn, buddy! I hope you invite us over for bear roast this winter. I had one flatten my corn 2 weeks ago (never had to worry about bears on my mom's farm in SE WI).

Glad to hear your plots are looking good 4evrhtn, I hope your bears behave. Do oats survive the winter by you? Have you tried winter rye? I like winter rye because it survives the winter and provides food in the early spring up in the north. If you have the room and interest, you may want to see how your deer like it.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

This will be my first year planting the oats. I see winter wheat everywhere in the valley I live in, haven't tried it yet though. Maybe next year with peas like you suggested to the other guy.

When I get a chance, maybe today I'll go take pics of my plot and post them later. Thanks soilman!
Old 08-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Fork Horn

I am going to plant my peas and oats under soybeans today. The beans up here should start to yellow soon (they are forecasting lows in the upper 40's this week). I planted winter rye last week in my bear damaged corn, and in open spots in the soybeans. If things go well, I'll post some pictures later this fall. Good luck with the plots. Sounds like you are having fun, that's the most important thing.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Corn plot with very little broadleaf but quite a bit of grass. I will be stocking birds here this year for training my shorthair. Next year I am going to rotate the corn and soybean after I re-lime the plots and do multiple treatments of gly starting this fall and then in the spring. Might try the kuru clover with corn where the soybean currently is and make the plot bigger.
My clover field needs some weed eradication and instead of getting into the High dollar herbicides, I think I am going to gly/2-4,D it and then do a control burn, plow the plot and respray it til everything is dead, then plant clover/chicory again in the spring and then overplant with a pea, turnip, grain mix in the fall.

This year with the help of you guys my corn plot looks like I am actually going to have some cobs. Last year the weeds took over and robbed the corn of what it needed to grow.

This is where I had planted soybeans, the seed didn't produce as it had last year. It is sparse but the plants are healthy. This is where I am going to plant oats in a few weeks.

Soilman, yes I am enjoying this. It gives me something to do in the off season. But archery is soon here and I can't wait. After all the work I am doing in this plot I am not even going to hunt it this year. Want to give the deer a place to go hide, feed and stay alive. If anything I will take my boy there in archery and film his hunt for him. He's 13 and this will be his first year archery hunting. I tried to increase his odds of bagging a buck, and he already has set himself at no less than 8 points. I am excited for him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.