Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

2-4,D herbicide mixing question

Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Timbercruiser grows Chufas and can probably help you out on those. I've never grown them and know very little about 'em.

Clover is fairly attractive to Turkeys, the insects found in clover may be the reason. Some of the small grains are also very good Turkey attractants also, but mainly after they have matured and produced grain, which might be after spring turkey season has peaked in your area. Maybe others will have suggestions on this, honestly I'm very limited on Turkey attractants.

Glad to help when I can tho'.

In another post you mentioned "round ready clover" believe it or not clover is somewhat resistant to roundup and soon there will be 2,4-D resistant clover and other crops available. THAT will be a huge help to farmers and food plotters!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
Timbercruiser grows Chufas and can probably help you out on those. I've never grown them and know very little about 'em.

Thanks, I'll send him a pm
Maybe others will have suggestions on this, honestly I'm very limited on Turkey attractants.
Same here, never grown the stuff
Glad to help when I can tho'.

In another post you mentioned "round ready clover" believe it or not clover is somewhat resistant to roundup and soon there will be 2,4-D resistant clover and other crops available. THAT will be a huge help to farmers and food plotters!

That would be a huge help! I will keep looking for it, let me know when you find a distributor as well, I'll stock up on 2,4-D until then because god knows I will need it!

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 07-10-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

Here is a picture of a corn crop growing in kura clover. We have made up to 3 applications of 1 qt/a glyphosate with 4 oz/a dicamba on kura clover. It slows the clover down for about 2-4 weeks, but this stuff is tough. On established clover (key word, established), 1 qt/a roundup should not be a problem. If you do want to try roundup on clover, I would test a small strip with a lot of grass, and try to keep the application rate to about 1 qt/a. I wouldn't try this with an annual clover (crimson), or small clovers (white dutch), but I think it would be OK on red clover, ladino clover, and alfalfa (there are plenty of volunteer non-kura in these plots that are fine after the above sprayings).

Old 07-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

Soilman.......that is a unbelievable picture and idea! I can not believe that corn looks that GOOD with some competition for moisture.

I've gotta ask a couple questions...

- About how old is that clover ?

- What size row width is that, looks at least 36 or maybe 42 ?

- Does the corn protect the clover some in the fall, thereby extending the usefulness of the clover later than normal ?

- How well does the clover tolerate that much shade ?

- What happens with the fodder after the grain is used up ?

Sorry for all questions but the curiosity is killing me! Corn and clover in the same plot would have to be the most amazing draw there is! Not to mention pulling excess nitrogen out of the clover and free N for the corn....just one hell of an idea really
Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by haystack
Soilman.......that is a unbelievable picture and idea! I can not believe that corn looks that GOOD with some competition for moisture.

Moisture stress on the corn really isn't a major problem most of the year. Kura acts as a mulch too, so there is MUCH less evaporation from the soil surface in the spring. That said, kura does use water, so there is less moisture, especially in the spring. A more important factor is kura control. We band spray in the corn row to kill the kura. We also supress the kura shortly after planting to (hopefully) get the corn above the kura fast. This is a major problem for us up here where springs can be cold, hence 2 or 3 kura supression sprayings.

I've gotta ask a couple questions...

- About how old is that clover ?

The kura clover in the picture is about 8 years old. We have grown corn in kura at 3 years old, but wouldn't suggest it in clover under 2 1/2. It takes kura 2 full growing seasons to mature. Kura spreads by underground rhyzome like quack grass, so it is very drought tolerant. It is also more winter hardy than any other legume you will find. Stands over 10 years old are common.

- What size row width is that, looks at least 36 or maybe 42 ?

That is 30 inch row spacing my friend.

- Does the corn protect the clover some in the fall, thereby extending the usefulness of the clover later than normal ?

The concept behind this living mulch is to protect the soil after corn harvest. Most of the plots we try this on are harvested for silage in early September, so the kura has about 6-8 weeks to recover. If the corn was left standing, I would assume it would act like a blanket and keep the clover growing longer.

- How well does the clover tolerate that much shade ?

Kura likes to grow low to the ground, but you can see in the pictures it stands up tall if it needs to. In WI, they grow it in pastures with grasses and with reed canary grass for biofuel. Having some period of 6-8 weeks (at least) of sun I would assume is critical for clover to survive "indefinately".

- What happens with the fodder after the grain is used up ?

The kura can look like crap after corn harvest, but it recovers amazingly fast, especially the next spring. Since we mostly harvest the corn for silage, there is little residue left in the field. There is always enough kura regrowth for harvest the following spring!

Sorry for all questions but the curiosity is killing me! Corn and clover in the same plot would have to be the most amazing draw there is! Not to mention pulling excess nitrogen out of the clover and free N for the corn....just one hell of an idea really
It may work great in VA where the springs are warmer, and the rains more plentiful. Finding kura seed is now a pain in the butt. I tried to plant some this spring, but found no seed. My boss put in a center pivot (eliminate moisture stress variable), but couldn't get any seed either. He is now planting kura from sprigs, and will monitor how that works out. I know people have used other clovers and alfalfa as living mulches, but they are not "permanent" like the kura can be with good management. I did plant 3 pots of kura I had in the grenhouse in my plot, and the deer do love it.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

Soilman.........thanks a lot for the info! That is truly a sustainable concept, especially with the unpredictability of the cost of fertilizer and increasing environmental regulations being handed down these days.

I'd have thought for sure the rows were wider, and necessary for that to work, glad I asked. I have no experience with Kura clover and look forward to giving it a try in the future. My biggest challenge with slow growing clover's is Foxtail competition, but by the sounds of it the kura is tough enough to handle several applications of grass control herbicide to get it established.

I'll eventually have more questions on this topic, as well as others, so expect my inquiries........
Old 07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

I just sprayed my soybean with a second treatment of gly. I had spent the last weeks since the first application walking through and pulling out the milkweed and some others that were springing up, now there is a bunch of lowlying broadleafed stuff spreading out over the whole plot. Don't know what it is, haven't researched it yet but I think the gly should kill it. In a week i am going to plant some forage oats in the soybean plot.
Question... This year my corn is growing nicely with a 3 week late start but despite the plants being 5 ft tall across most of the field, I am not seeing any cobs growing yet. Last year I had cobs on plants that only grew to 3 ft because of the weeds taking over the plot. Can I still expect to see some cobs by the time the growing season is done here in Pa? So far, not producing what I expected. The seed is leftover from last year. I figured if the seed produces stalks they should also have cobs. Could the seed age have something to do with this???
Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

Has the Corn tasseled yet?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

No, but every corn field in my area has. I am concerned that the crop will not reach maturity in time this year, I do have 2 months left I guess.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Typical Buck

I don't think you have anything to be worried about, unless your area experiences a very early frost. I'm sure the tassel is right ready to appear, and once it does and the corn pollinates, it will take about 5 weeks and the corn grain should be at the hard dough stage, at least.

Did you plant your soybeans in wide rows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.