Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Soilman's project

Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default Soilman's project

I bought a new 20 acre parcel in northern WI last fall. First thing I did, was test the soil (it is a sandy loam). The pH was 5.9, P was adequate, K low. I applied 2 tons/acre pel-lime (I only improved 1/2 acre), and 200 lbs potash. Since the ground is sandy, I also applied epsom salt (Mg and S), and Zinc Sulfate (Zn and S) to the corn/sweet corn. Next year, I plan to fertilize the fruit trees and garden with calcium nitrate (I have low soil Ca as well).

Next came the spraying to kill the perennial weeds. Here is a picture of me hand spraying the old field with a glyphosate/2,4-d mix.

Fall is the best time to kill perennial weeds, and the field was brown this spring. The realtor that sold me the place lives down the road about 1 mile. He plowed and disked the field for me this spring, working my lime and fertilizer into the soil. Then we started the garden, and planted 12 fruit trees in mid-April after some finishing ATV drag work.

About the same time, I planted a wildflower mix, ladino clover, and some northern sweet spot (I wanted to try out the high sugar rye grass). I do not like the turnips in the mix, but they are tasty (for us, not the deer this time of year). Here is the northern sweet spot in July (the neighbor cut the field for hay 2 weeks ago, but I didn't get to tell him to cut the sweet spot & clover).

Yes, my clover is weedy, but next year I will hit it with Poast in May. The neighbor will also mow it for me in August.

Northern WI has been in a drought the last 5 years. This year, we have been blessed with 7 inches of rain in June, and 8 inches so far in July. The fruit trees, clover, garden, and wildflowers are all doing great!

Next year, I will frost seed more clover into the unworked part of the field, and I will make another small food plot by the road. You do not need a lot of acres to attract wildlife. This guy was dumped just 10 yards from where we always park (sorry for the blurry pic).

Do deer repellents work? Not really, but this guy sure was interested. He came 5 minutes after I sprayed it, sat there 20 ft off the road for 3-4 minutes, and watched me pound t-posts. Maybe he is the active ingredient?

I planted the corn and soybeans in mid-May, and they are doing great as well.

Growing things can be a lot of fun, but also a lot of work. The flowers, fruit trees, and garden is also away to get the Mrs to help out. After all the work we put into this, I was happy to see this guy by the salt lick at the new deer stand I built in April.

This fall, I will plant turnips into the garden, peas and oats into the half of the corn/soybeans, and winter rye into the other half of the corn/soybeans. I will be trying to find the favorite winter food supply for the deer in this area.

I wish each of you plenty of rain, success, and lots of good times with your own projects.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Looking Good! plenty to keep ya busy. I use sodium nitrate on my sweet corn, not sure of the difference between that and calcium nitrate, if any, but I do know sodium nitrate is one of the few nitrogen sources that will raise the soil pH, versus lowering like urea will. Too bad its more expensive than urea.

Good to hear y'all are finally getting the rain. Last I'd heard folks was having to drill their wells deeper, the drought was so bad. Rough stuff for sure.

That bear is waiting on that corn to ripen I see you've got electric around it, that should halt him, I know they respect electric, but that's about it (other than a rifle)

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice looking place you bought, lots of luck in the upcoming season.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I have as much fun growing things as hunting, and the growing season is longer (even up here). Now, I am hungry for some venison to go with the veggies!

Calcium nitrate will raise soil pH as well, and obviously supplies calcium (a critical secondary nutrient). It is about $1/pound, and 15.5-0-0, so it is a more expensive N source than urea. I will use urea as well, but those trees are my babies right now, and apples use high amounts of Calcium.

That fence has issues. I only have a 3 ft ground, so this weekend I am putting in an 8 foot ground. We'll see how that works for keeping out the coons and bears. Next fall, one of my brothers may bear hunt here. It takes forever (8-10 yrs) to get a tag in WI. I will bait for them in September this year, so I may have some interesting trail cam pics in 2 months.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Great looking spot my friend looks like we have both been busy and yes the bear at my spot destoyed the deer feeder we had out and is now on the hit list for this fall being in the no quota zone and all.
Good luck this fall
Old 08-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mconwa951
Great looking spot my friend looks like we have both been busy and yes the bear at my spot destoyed the deer feeder we had out and is now on the hit list for this fall being in the no quota zone and all.
Good luck this fall

Sorry to hear about the bear. I had one flatten all of my corn last week. Thankfully, I didn't have much planted. I am going to wrap bacon around the electric fence (corn fence wasn't electric, I learned my lesson!), and set my trail camera to video. I suspect I will enjoy watching that!

How is your project going? What did you plant this year? There is basically unlimited doe permits here as well, but then, the deer do seem to get at it early.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

It is evident you love doing this. The setup looks really good. Thanks for sharing and be sure to post some pics of those buck you've just started to manage. It's neat to see how when you change the habitat for a specific purpose how the animals respond by changing bedding areas and travel patterns based solely on the access to a more plentiful food source and cover.

I started planting food plots on a neighbor's property about 3 years ago. Nobody hunted this land in years b/c there was very little deer on it. This year I had a guy ask me how long I planned on hunting that land because now he would like to hunt on it again. Go figure... I do what anyone else could have done at any time and rather than improving the land they just hunted some place else, after I sunk $100's into it and many many hours and held off on shooting little deer so that there could be bigger deer he wants to hunt there again. I am sure you can guess my response.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

those weeds in the clover look like foxtail. As an annual - mowing a couple times should take care of them just fine!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

The animals really have responded to the food plots this summer, and I am looking forward to how they respond to the fall/winter feed. The guy I bought the place from never saw a bear in 20 years. I also have a sanctuary near the stand, and I have seen a lot of deer along the road by my small sanctuary. I suspect the bucks spend a fair amount of time sleeping there, and the trail camera by the stand seems to confirm that. I do enjoy growing plants and managing the land as much as hunting. For me, it is a 12 month season (with planning during the winter, and some hinge cutting this year). I know what you mean about people wanting in after you have made improvements 4evrhtn, that is why I bought my own place.

Farm Hunter, you are right, that is foxtail. The neighbor cut the field for hay in mid July, but due to my miscommunication, he didn't cut the clover plots. He will cut it again around Labor Day, but as I am sure you know, that will be too late to stop the foxtail from seeding. Next year I will spray with Poast in mid-June, and it will get cut twice. In the early spring of 2012, I will frost seed timothy into the plot for a more palatable and nutritious grass to compete against the foxtail.

Our wet summer continues. We had 8 more inches of rain this week (30-32 inches average for the year)! I wish I could bottle up some for next year.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, they are appreciated.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It all looks great Soilman - its 12 months a year for me too. I enjoy the "farming" as much as the hunting. That Labor Day mowing is a Great Idea - one that I advocate going into hunting season.

I like foxtail - it can be a real pain in some plots - but its a weakling - and round up and mowing can control it well. In my corn plots - I actually like an August growth of foxtail in between the rows - As long as it comes on after the ears are developing. It makes AWESOME bedding in the corn rows - and provides cover that corn stems alone don't for the deer. I spray round up regularly on other crops/plots - but i've never been a poast fan. When it first came en vouge I could replant a whole clover field for what it cost to spray it. I remember guys on this site splitting a gallon of it to save $. We worked out a mowing and crop rotation that let us not worry about praying clover. I haven't priced it in years though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.