Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Spraying Weeds - When and With What? >

Spraying Weeds - When and With What?

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Spraying Weeds - When and With What?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
I wouldnt go with any of the Round Up from wal-mart it isn't straight chemical it is watered down.
True, it's not straight gly. But, when you buy straight gly from the farm store it must be mixed with water. You end up with same thing, but buying straight gly is cheaper. That may be what you meant, I wasn't sure. I didn't want anyone going out and spraying straight gly on their fields.
It's also very helpful to add a non ionic surfactant to the srpay mixture. A lot of gly claims to have surfactant in it, but it's not a non ionic surfactant. It makes a difference. Some people add dish soap in place as a surfactant. It may help, but it's still not the same.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Round Up is just a brand name. Being "Round Up Ready" only means they are are not effected by glyphosate. It doesn't not mean that they can withstand all variations of the Round Up brand. Any 41% glyphosate at the local feed/seed store will work.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me. I planted soybean and corn last year after spraying, disking, harrowing and spraying again over a 4 week period. My plants grew beautifully for the first month and then the ragweed started and it took over both food plots. The land had laid fallow for 12 years after many years of being farmed for corn. I limed and fertilized the soil and everything in that regard is optimal, I just need to get these weeds taken care of this year so my plants yield food. I considered a controlled burn folowed by spraying repeatedly because the ragweed seed bed is so thick.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

Has anyone else had a problem with Round Up not killing certain weeds. There are some really small weeds that almost look like clover that Round Up wont kill on my plots.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Robv2007
Has anyone else had a problem with Round Up not killing certain weeds. There are some really small weeds that almost look like clover that Round Up wont kill on my plots.
That's not uncommon. Glyphosate is most effective on grasses and won't kill everything. There are some broadleaf weeds that show very little affect from glyphosate. Sometimes you can up the rate. You can just mix in some 2,4,D and kill it all, if that's your goal.
If you're spraying Round Up Ready crops and don't want the 2,4,D, try adding a non ionic surfactant. That can help considerably.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arrest herbicide can be used on plants (clover chicory and alfalfa) that have already started sprouting right?
Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mossberghunter93
Arrest herbicide can be used on plants (clover chicory and alfalfa) that have already started sprouting right?
Yep, the Arrest is a grass herbicide.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
That's not uncommon. Glyphosate is most effective on grasses and won't kill everything. There are some broadleaf weeds that show very little affect from glyphosate. Sometimes you can up the rate. You can just mix in some 2,4,D and kill it all, if that's your goal.
If you're spraying Round Up Ready crops and don't want the 2,4,D, try adding a non ionic surfactant. That can help considerably.
Has anyone ever used WEEDAR 64 or PBI Gordon's LV400 2,4-D?
I found the WeedAR for $48-2.5 gal and LV400 for $39-2.5 gal. I will be planting corn and soybean in the field after spraying, harrowing and spraying again. The LV400 states it can be used for clearing weeds prior to planting grain crops. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about these products and if one is more effective than the other or what your experience was using either product. Also, will I be able to kill PigEar weeds by continual mowing in my clover plot. It is in it's 3rd year of growing and reseeding every year. The clover is thick and healthy but the PigEar seems to be multiplying. Do I have to spray each individual plant with a root killing herbicide to ensure it's death?