Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

I give up!

Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 AM

Default I give up!

Guys,
I need some ideas over here.....
I was at the co-op yesterday looking for some round up, the lady had
some which is a bonus, so now I want to spray it.

Problem is that I have a really long path to spray (8ft widex 11 acres deep).
The path currently has high grass on it (waste high) and I need some ideas to cut it before spraying. I' ve called around all the rental shops and all these guys have are weed wackers. I' m trying to stay away from that idea since it took me and five friends two days work to do it last year.

Is there anything else you guys have in mind?
Old 06-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I give up!

Find a local farmer with a brush hog and pay him to do it. That' s what I' d do if I didn' t have a way to do it myself. 8ft x11 acres...man that' s a long strip for sure.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:29 PM

Brush hog, mine is 5' wide. Two passes 1up, 1back. If you don' t have a bunch of stumps to run over its the fastest, easiest. way to go. Shouldn' t take to long to do that little bit. [&:] terry
Old 06-17-2003, 01:53 PM

Don' t have access to a bush hogg, specially here in Canada.
Maybe asking a farmer will be the best bet.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

maybe buy an old old riding lawn mower for about $200-$300 (us $). put the deck to it' s highest setting. your first pass will be the hardest. subsequent passes will just go over uncut grass on half or 1/3 of the deck, cut a little bit at a time. you can also use the mower and a cart to haul stuff around.

i have a 25 year old snapper riding mower, it' s worth about $200. i also have a cart that i can tow behind it. fertilizer, seeds, chainsaws, etc go in it. i even built a 10' boom sprayer w/ 15 gallon tank to go on the back. takes 13 minutes to spray an acre.
Old 06-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Eight feet wide by 11 acres works out to about 11 1/2 miles long. A bushhog or even a sikle mower will do the job. You always try what Lawnhunter is doing with a wick applicator and put it on the tall grass (as long as it' s still growing) by just driving over it.

Dan O.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know guys here in NY that do Brush hogging for hire all summer long. I' d look into that. Especially seeing its so high alreadly. Other idea might want to look into if have a atv is to look for a used pull behind motorized Brush hog type mower. They' ve become pretty popular. New ones are expensive, but used can be found reasonable sometimes.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

11.5 miles long and 8 feet wide! do you spray this by hand?
Old 06-18-2003, 08:50 AM

I have to thank you guys for all the support and convincing!!!!
My partner (hunting partner that is) got a hold of something to
do the job yesterday. I haven' t seen it but it' s some type of
riding lawn mower with blades on the front specially designed for the
high grass. I' ll also be spraying the grass with Round up with in the next few
days to keep it under control for the rest of the summer.

How long does that round up stuff last before grass starts growing again?

No...not 11.5 miles....I wish.
The property is 11 acres surrounded by bush that we could also hunt on and the nearest food plots are about a mile away.

My goal is to try and plant some small food plots along with feeders and try to keep the deer around the property.

Maybe I' ll take some pictures tonight and post them when they get developed.
You guys seem to have way more knowledge on porperty management and it' s something I definatly want to get involved in considering the small size of the property.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

i don' t think you want to spray roundup or honcho on it right after mowing. the chemical that gets applied to the cut grass is wasted, and the cut grass keeps the chem from getting applied directly to the grass that is growing.

Quick Reply: I give up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.