Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

How deep for a soil sample?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How deep for a soil sample?

I'm planning another food plot in addition to my current .75 acre clover plot. The area I'm planning to plant has a western exposure, so it gets a fair amount of sunlight mid-late day. It's entirely pasture, but hasn't been farmed/planted in 30 years (therefore, no lime or fertilizer in those past 30yrs). I want to get soil test done, but never got around to it (or had plans for the plot) in the fall before frost set in. How deep down do I need to get for the sample to be worth my while?
Old 02-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

When we soil sample we go 7in. Thats usually your common depth for soil sampling
Old 02-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
When we soil sample we go 7in. Thats usually your common depth for soil sampling
Thanks for the information. Looks like I'm hoping for an early thaw or a miracle. No way I'm getting down 7" now, and by the time the frost moves out, it's essentially too late to lime anyways. Depending on the results, I may be waiting to plant until next year.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by MGH_PA
Thanks for the information. Looks like I'm hoping for an early thaw or a miracle. No way I'm getting down 7" now, and by the time the frost moves out, it's essentially too late to lime anyways. Depending on the results, I may be waiting to plant until next year.
Was you planning on tilling/plowing this plot? Lime will go to work much faster if its mix in the soil well.

When I take a soil test, how deep I go will depend on whether its a no-till field or field that will be plowed.

No-till, I only go 4". Plowed fields I go as much as 10"

Depending on field/plot size, I will pull as many as 15 to 20 cores in a 10 acre field. Its best to mix the cores together in a plastic bucket also.

So far its been colder and wetter than normal in my area, it could be at least 6 weeks before the ground is thawed and dried enough to get soil samples here.

But, I hear Puxatony Phil DID NOT see his shadow, so spring time is gonna be early!!!.....

EDIT...I know see that the rodent DID see his shadow..

Last edited by haystack; 02-02-2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
Was you planning on tilling/plowing this plot? Lime will go to work much faster if its mix in the soil well.

When I take a soil test, how deep I go will depend on whether its a no-till field or field that will be plowed.

No-till, I only go 4". Plowed fields I go as much as 10"

Depending on field/plot size, I will pull as many as 15 to 20 cores in a 10 acre field. Its best to mix the cores together in a plastic bucket also.

So far its been colder and wetter than normal in my area, it could be at least 6 weeks before the ground is thawed and dried enough to get soil samples here.

But, I hear Puxatony Phil DID NOT see his shadow, so spring time is gonna be early!!!.....

EDIT...I know see that the rodent DID see his shadow..
Doesn't he always

Anyways, yes I was planning to till this. Probably get in, take the two-bottom plow to it initially to get it ready.

I was planning clover, brassica, and not sure what else. The .75 acre plot isn't far away, and that will be clover, rye, and winter wheat.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Typical Buck

Since you have the means to plow the lime in, that in itself will help make up for lost time to a degree. A lot will depend on your current ph also, but most of the choices you mentioned are best planted late summer. Even if its late April/May until you apply the lime and plow, things should still work out. I personally wouldn't be overly concerned.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

You want to take your soil sample to the approximate depth you will be plowing. 7 inches would be a good depth if you are not sure just how deep you are plowing. Haystack is right on about taking a lot of cores, and mix the sample well in a bucket before sending it in for analysis. There should be plenty of time to take a soil sample, get the results, and spread lime this spring. You can always plant a plot to your current soil pH this year, a spring and a fall plot, and/or plant something more permanent next year. There are many good choices that will tolerate lower pH soil.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
Since you have the means to plow the lime in, that in itself will help make up for lost time to a degree. A lot will depend on your current ph also, but most of the choices you mentioned are best planted late summer. Even if its late April/May until you apply the lime and plow, things should still work out. I personally wouldn't be overly concerned.
Yeah, that's good news. I just wanted to get a decent early start to my clover (then again, if the PH isn't ideal, it could be a waste) especially since I want to plant rye as a supplement/cover crop like I did in the other plot.

What are some lower Ph-tolerant plant options?
Old 02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

[quote=MGH_PA;3568798]Yeah, that's good news. I just wanted to get a decent early start to my clover (then again, if the PH isn't ideal, it could be a waste) especially since I want to plant rye as a supplement/cover crop like I did in the other plot.

What are some lower Ph-tolerant plant options?

A couple options for the new plot, for a spring planting, could be Soybeans, Cowpeas or Buckwheat.

I'm thinking you're really wanting a clover plot, that once planted, will last a few years. White clovers is a very good choice for that reason. Once established, white clovers can live many years and provide lots of high quality forage deer love. Trouble is, some white clovers can be slow to get established and is highly susceptible to weed competition.

My humble suggestion for the plot that has been pasture for 30 years would be to apply the lime and plow that in, wait until late May, disk the plot and plant Buckwheat @ 50-60#s per acre. After 6 to 8 weeks or when the buckwheat is starting to bloom disk that in. After the buckwheat has decomposed some, it will soon be time to plant the clover and cover crop. Around the first of September should be about right for your area and by then the plot should be ready. Ultimately, your soil tests results will determine whether or not clover is to be planted this year. If your test comes back very acidic, less than 5.5, you may need to give the lime additional time. If that would be the case then frost seeding the clover into the late summer planted cover crop next March may be the best option.

When that new plot is plowed there will be all sorts of weed seeds that has been waiting for a chance to grow. Buckwheat grows faster than many weeds and will help prevent your plot from becoming overrun with weeds and at the same time, add lots of organic matter to your soil, improving soil quality and moisture holding abilities the clover will need.

Just my $.02. Some of these other fellas could have additional and better ideas.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

Buckwheat (per Haystack's suggestion) also tolerates low pH. In general, grasses thrive in low (5.0-6.0) pH soils. Corn will also tolerate a pH to about 5.5 (it is a grass too), and you can get a roundup ready variety for weed management.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.