Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need to control cattails?

Old 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need to control cattails?

Does any one know how to effectively kill or remove cattails. I haven't tried anything yet but i want to get it right the first time, cause its going to be a pain in the a double s.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had good luck with Rodeo.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Spike

We've got a 9 acre pond and use GLYPHOMATE 41 for both Lilly Pads and cattails. It takes a few days to show the effects, but it's safe downstream.

http://www.dunnsfishfarm.com/cattails_86_ctg.htm

I've used Roundup in a pinch, but it isn't good for the rest of your ponds vegetation. It will however kill anything it touches, so be careful during application.

Chuck
Old 01-22-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

[QUOTE=Chuck R.;3560923][FONT=Arial]We've got a 9 acre pond and use GLYPHOMATE 41 for both Lilly Pads and cattails. It takes a few days to show the effects, but it's safe downstream.QUOTE]

Wow, thanks, I always thought you were stuck digging them out to get rid of them

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Roundup, then a machete and hack them off as far below the waterline as you can since some will try to grow back. I had about 1/4 acre of them, it was a real pain the first year. The second year a few came back, and I did it again (maybe 5-10%). The third year it was just a handful of sprouts left, and easy to take care of.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

I got about 4.5 acres of solid cattails. They have been there for almost 30 years. I am on a 5 year lease with this mess running right down the middle. I have a feeling that if this place is ever going to be good, the cattails are going to have to be cut back significantly or completely. It is not huntable or habitable, unless you are a beaver.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

I am not positive but you may need to check as the area may classified as a "WET LANDS" in which case it may be illegal to do anything with them. Like I said I'm not sure. Each state has thier own laws and rules. Good Luck, Mark
Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mmanincor
I am not positive but you may need to check as the area may classified as a "WET LANDS" in which case it may be illegal to do anything with them. Like I said I'm not sure. Each state has thier own laws and rules. Good Luck, Mark
That was my first thoght, better safe than sorry. Good luck to you on this project.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Spike

Rodeo spray is safe to use in the water.

John
Old 02-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

It might as well be considered wetlands, but is is not. It is a drainage for farmland that has been taken over by beavers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.