Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Need to control cattails?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Spike

Cattails are not nessecarily a bad thing for deer habitat. i have an good size wet area filled with them,some of the bigger bucks in the area bed in it and use it regularly. What about cutting some trails through it for travel corridors? Just a thought, it would be easier than getting rid of it.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Demo92
Cattails are not nessecarily a bad thing for deer habitat. i have an good size wet area filled with them,some of the bigger bucks in the area bed in it and use it regularly. What about cutting some trails through it for travel corridors? Just a thought, it would be easier than getting rid of it.
Bingo!

In standing water they provide habitat for insect species. I see so many "Hobbyist Farmers" around here just start eradicating every thing from their ponds then wonder what killed off half the fish in the pond.
Most go blame it on "some body's been usin POISINZ!!!" kind of stuff and wont listen to reason.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

A significant fluctuation in water level will kill off all the cattails. But that generally only works if the cattails are all established along the edges of a pond at a particular depth. Dont know about 4+ acres of nothing but cattails.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Spike

Round up Max works good if used with a surfactant or a few drops per gallon of Dawn dish soap works good to to make it stick. We checked the LD 50 on Round UP and the straight mixing dosage is max dosage on blue gills, but once it is diluted in the pond is safe under any environmental laws. It does help speed up the process if you can cut the stalks where the Round up can get in better. If not it takes about a month to kill the cattails. Rodeo is the same as Round up but you pay a lot more.