Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Helping Deer Grow - Protein feed how-to's >

Helping Deer Grow - Protein feed how-to's

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Helping Deer Grow - Protein feed how-to's

Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Question Helping Deer Grow - Protein feed how-to's

I own land that I wouldn't mind helping the deer grow their antlers over the winter and early spring. I don't plan on hunting over feed, just helping growth.

I see you can get high protein mixes such as C'mere deer or Buck Grub, but if I put this on the ground for them, would they not just eat it in one evening or how do you make it last as this stuff is pricey?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Most guys buy feeders that dispense a certain amount daily. You want something that can provide 16% crude protein and the necessary calcium, magnesium and phosphorous needed to build bone, be it antlers or bone structure.

Most people provide a supplemental lick for the micronutrients. Usually they will use cmere deer or others of that kind to add to their regular local diet intake. they probably get satiated at a point and wouldn't eat the whole thing.

Typically they start antler growth in early spring, but they will often start hitting that stuff in late winter.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Any recommendations on feeders? What about bails of hay?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Ask the guys in the Wildlife Management forum, they're fountains of info on that stuff.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer have to be in good body condition all the way through the growth of antlers to reach their potential. That means feeding from now through August. To really make a noticable difference, you would basically have to provide free choice protein feed (as stated, at least 16%) during this period. And corn is only about 8%protein, so it does nothing for antler growth.

Feeders that put out a certain amount only give enough for the deer who get there first, and big bucks are not the ones who get there first usually. That is another reason you have to provide it free choice (allows access 24 hours/day). And feeding free choice can be a really expensive program. In Texas where I live, there is a deer for every 5-10 acres. Once deer learn that there is a buffet, they will really suck down the feed. And thanks to the "methanol" demand on corn, all feed is more expensive.

Hay can be a supplement, but remember, deer don't digest grass, so grass hay does nothing for them. Alfalfa does some good if you can get them to eat it, but it harder and bulkier to store, trasport, etc. and it isn't cheap.

To be real honest, unless you have a lot of money to spend on feed, you are better off working to inprove habitat. Examples: low stocking rates on domestic animals, keeping deer numbers down to have more forage for everyone, and habitat improvements such as brush control or food plots.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need to find out if it is digestlble protein also. Many year ago I bought a 50 pound sack of 93% protein to supplement some dog feed. When I opened it there was nothing but ground up cow hair in it. Sure it was protein, but it wasn't digestlble protein.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

THere are multiple spots I will hunt deer in an large area. On my private land I was thinking of putting feeders with oats and barley for protein and in other areas I was going to put hay bales. In the early spring I would put mineral licks and then lay off the summer since there is so much feed around.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oats run about 12% protein, barley about 13%. So neither comes up to the ideal 16%. And the advantage of pellets is that they usually contain enough roughage to limit consumption. Certain grains, if provided free choice, can be overeaten and cause serious problems with the animals.

I didn't notice you lived WAY up north. So you have to contend with lots of snow and probably have a lot lower deer density than we do. And as you stated, unless you have a drought, you should have plenty of high protein forage during the summer.

I think your best bet would be to call some game departments that have fed deer. Feeding deer is a lot trickier than feeding cattle since deer can't digest grass. You might be able to find a feed dealer that could custom make some pellets as cheap as you can buy them otherwise.

Might start by calling/emailing the Gunnison office of the DOW in Colorado. They had an intense feed program on deer a couple of winters ago.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Fork Horn

TxHunter is right. In order to provide any benefit at all, you have to feed free choice. I provide free choice year round to free ranging deer on my property. During this time of year, when there isn't much food around, it takes the deer approximately 3-4 weeks to go through one ton of feed, which is what my feeder will hold. I feed a 50% mix of corn and Heartland Deer Feed (Redoy formula - 16% protein). I feed the corn mainly to cut down on cost. It costs me approx $500 every time I fill the feeder. Like I said - costly. But the benefits are amazing.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry guys I'm a bit lost. What are these "deer pellets" you speak of and where can I get them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.