Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

My new hunting spot

Old 01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default My new hunting spot

Well i recently stumbled across a chunk of 50 acers just on the edge of the Mpls and st paul metro area that hasn't been hunted ever as far as I can tell and there is no huntable land around for miles. I put out some trail cams and did a lil obsevation in the little 2 acre clearing one night we counted 57 deer of which 8 were antlered bucks. With the help of a coupld of huntng friends we have decided to clear 5 more acers as a destination food plot we were in this weekend and were using my skidloader to clear some atv trails when we hit a spot that was real soft. It has been real cold here in MN and everything is froze execpt this one spot only had about 2 inches of frozen mud on top. the right side of the skid loader droped in and there was nothing solid for 2 feet we ended up digging out all of the muck and using the bucket of the skid to push the track up and fill the hole with logs and pull using a come along 4 hrs of working by hand no way to get another machine to it.

anyway this will be an on going project next weekend we will have a dozer in to clear food plot areas. Ill keep posting pics and let you all see how it turns out iam excited I have never taken on a project this size or with this much potential.
Attached Thumbnails My new hunting spot-stuck.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 05:50 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with the project! The frost is very thin this year. I have an array of thermocouples in Rosemount, and most are not below 32 degrees at 10 inches on farm ground (last year we had frost down to 40 inches). The thick snow we had early this winter really kept the frost shallow. Last week, I even found some unthawed ground in a field that had 40 inches of snow over the top.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Soilman
Good luck with the project! The frost is very thin this year. I have an array of thermocouples in Rosemount, and most are not below 32 degrees at 10 inches on farm ground (last year we had frost down to 40 inches). The thick snow we had early this winter really kept the frost shallow. Last week, I even found some unthawed ground in a field that had 40 inches of snow over the top.
Rosemount do you work for the university down there?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

I work for the Feds (USDA). I am stationed at the U in St. Paul, and we do a lot of our research at the Rosemount experiment station.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

Went back to property yesterday borrowed a john deere bulldozer from a friend of mine and cleared about 8 to 9 acers for a food plot it was a blast toward dark we had deer piling into the new field feeding on the browse also set up a deer feeder and camera hope to have some pics soon.
Attached Thumbnails My new hunting spot-dozer3.jpg   My new hunting spot-dozer1.jpg   My new hunting spot-dozer2.jpg   My new hunting spot-dozer6.jpg  
Old 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like you have the right tools for the job, good luck.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

What are you planning to plant? Glad to see you stayed out of the muck this time.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Soilman
What are you planning to plant? Glad to see you stayed out of the muck this time.
Yup drove right through it with that guy.
there are some higher spots we are gonna plant corn and soybean mix then oats and alfalfa around the edge is what I am thinking but gonna have father in law take a look and see what his suggestions are.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Swung by the property today to check on the dozer and pulled the mem card on the camera over 550 pics since sunday night just a couple for you.
No antlered bucks look like they have droped there horns.
Attached Thumbnails My new hunting spot-mdgc0291.jpg   My new hunting spot-mdgc0353.jpg   My new hunting spot-mdgc0623.jpg  
Old 02-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Is that public land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.