Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Pine Trees

Old 01-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pine Trees

I have about eleven White pines that I have along my driveway and some around a food plot of mine. Anyways the tips of the pines needles are turning brown, are my trees dieing? The trees are 3-4 years old and I'm not sure what to make of it, any sugestions on what I could do would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

White pines are sensitive to salt. If you use sodium chloride as a de-icer on your driveway, this can turn the needles brown and kill the trees. Calcium or magnesium chloride salts are safer to use near white pines.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

its a gravel driveway and its never been salted
Old 01-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Typical Buck

It could be several things. In 1998 I planted 475 white pines and noticed brown on the new needles, had an extension agent tell me it was air pollution. I had quite a few die, but I don't think that was cause. Beetles, weevils and bucks rubbing their antlers has killed more than half of what I planted.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have a moth in our area that may be your problem also. It is the Nantucket Tip Moth. I doubt they would kill the tree, just brown up the ends of the limbs, you could probably use sevin or another spray to get rid of them.. You could call your local State Forester and they will be glad to help.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Would that moth be a roblem with it being winter time? The trees dont have anything stuck on them, just the brown needle tips.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Possibly white pine blister rust? http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.or...ent/whitepine/
Old 01-17-2010, 05:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just guessing. I don't know much about a white pine and I just noticed you are in Ohio. The moths I am refering to are active in late fall in the south and do damage as you described. It would probably be best if you just called your local state forester.