Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

New House, New Land to Hunt

Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Spike

Exclamation New House, New Land to Hunt

I just purchased my first home nothing crazy just a single level ranch but it does have 8 acres with about 6 of them behind the house that i plan to hunt. The 6 acres i plan to hunt is covered in hardwoods.A little back ground, I grew up hunting in southern Michigan where farmers always provided deer with plenty to eat and large food plots to hunt over. I need some ideas and information to make my 6 acres more attractive to mature deer. The 6 acres dimensions are 1 wide x 6 deep. It is surrounded on all sides by similar cover with a small 2 track on the very back property line. there is also a little creak just off of my property. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about contacting a forester to see if i could sell some trees / get them to make me a spot for a food plot.

I would also like to attract turkeys as well.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Spike

The first question you have to ask yourself is how does the 6 acres you own fit in with available deer habitat around you? Where is there cover, where is there forage, where are the travel corridors, and where is there water. Assess what you have in relationship to what is around you and try to work with what habitat is on your land.

Creating small forage areas, for instance near a travel corridor, is not a bad idea. You might want to look at what food is available and provide something different that fits in with the deer's nutritional needs. Small food plots can cover a lot of bases, and they will be utilized, even if they aren't the main food supply in the area.

Congratulations on your new home and good luck hunting on your own land!

Wildbill51
www.wildramblings.com
Old 01-13-2010, 12:37 PM
Fork Horn

Important info to provide would be what state is this property in? Is there a lot of houses or woods around?

Congrats btw
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

I think I would try putting a small plot near that creek you spoke about.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

8 acres isn't much to work with. I probably wouldn't worry about a food plot. Your money would be better spent managing the habitat you have to fit your surroundings.