Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Planting in my shoting lanes?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Planting in my shoting lanes?

A couple of my deer stands are in timber with three shooting lanes at each each loaction. Each lane is 150-200 feet long and approximately 30 feet wide.

Obviously the timber provides a lot of shade. Because we're talking about shooting lanes, I feel like I would need to plant something that stays somewhat low to the ground.

Any suggestions on what, if anything I could or should plant?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

My brother had good luck planting white clover on some trails through a woods. You will want a pH of about 6.5 for clover to do well.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

plain ol rye grass...needs just warm temps to grow...grows in the shade..must water it though..maybe u could plant it on a rainy day? and since in grows primarily on top of the ground, you dont have to till the soil..just add fertilizer from the soil sample results...so start it early fall and you will be good through feb-june.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input, SoilMan and HalfBaked.