Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Baiting, Wrong or Right?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Baiting, Wrong or Right?

What are your thoughts? Is baiting a legitimate tool for today’s hunters? Do we need to hunt over food to shoot the number of deer biologists are asking us to? What’s the difference between a food plot and a corn pile? Does baiting give hunters a black eye to the non-hunting public? Are there areas where baiting is legitimate and others where it is not?Does it affect deer? I’d like to hear your thoughts….and see your shed pics!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

ught oh....lol!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many guys can't put in food plots or may not have a big white oak to hunt around. Baiting is no big deal to me. It's an attractant. Bear hunters do it all the time. No big deal. If it's legal and you want to do it then do it.

I don't see the thrill of having dogs run a cougar up a tree and then stand there and shoot it out. Just nothing I want to do. I don't like deer drives. I don't like high fence hunts. I don't like these things but I'll defend others who do. We have enough hate going on for hunters as it is without other hunters joining in on the attack. Hunt legal and have fun....and defend other hunters even if they do things a little different from you.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

We have feeders and game plots at our places. We do not shoot deer in those plots or near the feeders. Hogs are another matter; they are pests here and we shoot them wher we find them.

I never bought into the QDMA rhetoric.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you choose to bait, then so be it! Not to mention, it really helps out your local economy!
Old 12-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

If it is legal, and the hunter and landowner have no problem with it, then I say go for it. IMHO it is no different from food plots, sex lures, ag fields, trails to ag fields, a water hole, attractants such as Deer Cain or C'mere Deer or anything similar. To bait is to lure.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it is legal and you want to do it, go ahead. It gets expensive and it's a lot of extra work. I hunt several farms and usually setup one camera and stand near a corn pile. The other stands are without bait. I get my biggest deer well away from the bait pile, it seems that the bigger bucks stay away from the corn until well after dark. When the acorns drop the deer stop hitting the corn, so you have a month around here when baiting is not very effective as well. Baiting for deer around here is not all it is cracked up to be it's not the "Magic" end all. It is good for getting pictures on your trail cam and taking inventory.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it is illegal in your area, then yeah you shouldnt be doing it..thats for sure..but if its legal, so be it..i think its harder for guys who cant do it legally but that is the laws set down by your/our government.to each his own..i agree with what was posted earlier, shouldnt be going after our own, hunters need to stick together
Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

This is always a hotly debated topic....

Its legal here in Texas to the extent that for most people I know, that's pretty much the way you hunt. I got one buck a few years back with rattling and I've had chances at deer away from stands and feeders but I've always hunted with a corn feeder for the most part.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 PM
Spike

The only times i think it is necessary is when its for varmints like ferral hogs coyotes ect.
And yes baiting kinda does give hunters a black eye to the public.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.