Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Food plots for next year?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant express more than to put apples where apples grow...deer that have a larger supply of apples than any thing will not eat oranges!!!!(i dont mean apples and oranges by n e means...am tryin to make a point..if ya need clarification lemme know)
Old 11-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Soilman-Thanks for all of the great info.
Halfbaked- I get you, and yes, I do have some apples in my area but those are all scattered and don't come in until mid fall and the deer arent hitting them too hard in my area, rather up the street where there is more of an abundance of them.

I think I am going to plant Buck forage oats in the fall and some sort of Pea, oat whatever I can throw in there mix for the spring.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Currently, I am making a chart for all the possibilities of spring and fall plots
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

No doubt I would plant the whole 1.5 acres in round up ready soybeans. Then around labor day go in and broadcast winter rye or a winter rye, oat combo. Deer love soybeans when they are green and love the beans in the winter. You would have the rye for when all the beans are gone.
Would be (is) a great combo plot for your 1.5 acres!!
Old 12-07-2009, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

I'm seriously considering this for next season. I intend to move my stand and probably set up a second one for next season but for the one, at least, I'm just going to run the feeder out of corn and then move it. Its a big sucker, 500# and all. I need to scout out a few possibilities following the end of the season.

I'd like to get something down to draw the deer in and keep them in the area all year round...maybe do some camera hunting and feed a little for hogs. And anything that would be beneficial for them nutritionally would be a bonus.

So basically, central Texas, alot of rocks, probably too rough for fine tractor work but could probably scratch it up with a dozer some. Would prefer something that could be hand spread.

Yeah, sorry for hijacking the thread....
Old 12-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ILL BUCK
No doubt I would plant the whole 1.5 acres in round up ready soybeans. Then around labor day go in and broadcast winter rye or a winter rye, oat combo. Deer love soybeans when they are green and love the beans in the winter. You would have the rye for when all the beans are gone.
Would be (is) a great combo plot for your 1.5 acres!!
If I can do it and make a home made disc or what not for my quad, I will do that. How much would It cost for the bag of seeds?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

did you get a soil sample yet..what did it say?
what else grows in your area that the deer are eating all the time? has to be a farmer p/oed because the deer are eatin his ????

better plan on about a 20X15 ft area if your doin it by hand..and we were in the sand all day and tillin it up with an ol school hand driven tiller...by all means do an acre,but if ya do it right the 1st time and get bigger every year and be thick, or have a lil here and there scattered about.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
did you get a soil sample yet..what did it say?
what else grows in your area that the deer are eating all the time? has to be a farmer p/oed because the deer are eatin his ????

better plan on about a 20X15 ft area if your doin it by hand..and we were in the sand all day and tillin it up with an ol school hand driven tiller...by all means do an acre,but if ya do it right the 1st time and get bigger every year and be thick, or have a lil here and there scattered about.
Yah, Im going to going to send the soil into whitetail institute or get a ph tester myself..
Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

I would suggest you send your soil sample to a local soil lab. UConn has a soil lab http://www.soiltest.uconn.edu/price.php The basic test would be fine, just let them know what crops you are considering planting for the best lime and fertilizer recs. There are big differences between how labs test a soil sample, especially in different parts of the country. Keeping your sample close to home means they are more likely to use the best methods for your soil, and your local coop will be more familiar with the fertilizer and lime recommendations. The pH testers are not very accurate, and they will not give you fertilizer recs either.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
Yah, Im going to going to send the soil into whitetail institute or get a ph tester myself..

this is your 1st step, it dont matter what ya wanna grow , cause if your soil aint right then you will be wasting time and money...i have heard the nightmares about all the work wiih poor results because no soil test..i did the test, tuned out i just had to add some 13-13-13 to my soil, that was easy...another guy in west texas had to bring in ..lye or lime..i dont member which one...costed him out the wazzooo, but it is the nicest plot i ever been on...mine is just 50 yards long by 15 yards wide..it is thick and growin strong..i will get bigger every year.took us a whole day to till it up..sheww weee...
ps, make sure you are gonna plant when there is definitely water gonna get on it..i rented a gas powered pump and hoses and we pumped out the creek, stayed fer the labor day weekend and watered 3-4 days in a row..dont chunk your seed out hoping it will rain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.