Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Powerlines!!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Spike

Default Powerlines!!!!

Some land that i just got permission to hunt has a great looking powerline that runs through the property and has planted pines and soybean fields on either side of the lines. I'm looking at planting a foodplot on the lines here this spring and continue it into the season next year. I have heard good things about buck forage oats down here but i'm not 100% sure what to plant. What do ya'll think? I have a guy that will come and prepare the lines for planting, all i need to do is plant and lime and fertalize.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I love Buck Forage Oats, and the deer do also. That is usually all I plant, then I top seed the patch with Yucci Arrowleaf clover. The oats pop right up and then in late Dec the clover is coming on up. The clover provides good late Jan forage all the way thru the spring, and it will reseed every year.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Spike

Just a warning, where I hunt there are powerlines as well. Every so often the powerline companies will come a spray under the powerlines, so that the trees dont get overgrown. You should make sure that they wont come and spray and possibly kill off your food plot.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 AM
Typical Buck

Here is a powerline with oats, chicory, and clover, with a strip of dwarf essex rape and turnips for later in the year. Note that the power co was kind enough to spray around my food plot, no guarantee for your crowd though.

Also one with lab lab and cowpeas back in the summer.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
Spike

Thanks for the ideas. The powerlines are pretty grown up right now. There are a couple bushhogged spots that we have been hunting and seeing plenty of deer but i know we are also missing alot of deer because they are moving though the thicker part of the lines. Thanks again, Tim