Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

food plot question

Old 10-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Spike

Default food plot question

The farm we hunt on has a lot of pasture that the owner leases to a local farmer to run his cattle. We would like to plant some food plots along the field edges but more than likely can not fence them in because the farmer pays to use that land. So my question is does anyone know how much the cattle would destroy the plots? The fenced area is about 75-100 acres of mostly field and maybe 20% woods. We would like to put in a couple 1/4 acre plots along the wood line. The farmer typically only has around 15-20 head of cattle on there but the field sits empty most of the time. I know they will eat some of it but will they destroy it to the point where it is a waste of time?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

the cattle will definatly appreciate the plot
Old 10-21-2009, 06:50 PM
Spike

don't waste your money, they will for sure destroy your plot
Old 10-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned, do NOT do it.... just throwin' your money away. The cattle would destroy it within the first day or two they are put in there.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't do any more than a "pasture clover mix". Its cheap enough, the cattle will keep it mowed - so you won't have to worry about it - yet it can offer an attractive plot for the deer as well. Don't get me wrong - it'll be eaten to the ground by the cattle - but you won't be out a bunch of money at all.