Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Plot Question

Old 10-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my plot holds water, would renting a ditch witch and digging a trench on both sides help it, or would I have to add soil to raise my plot?
not if the soil is more clay like ( a ditch won't drain the plot - it'll just be a moat) -

not if the water table is at the ground level (the water willl just be deeper in the ditches)

Yes its feasible if its run off, and could be diverted downhill.

I don't say "they" when I talk about my plots or property - I can understand the question.

FH

Last edited by farm hunter; 10-22-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info. I'm going to give it a try when I plant in the spring. Can't hurt to try. "They" was a mistake when I was writing, but I was offended by the response I got, because I was being accused of diverting the water into a neighbors pond.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default plot question

Get a subsoiler with 1 shank on it, that will go about 2to 3ft deep. That should brake the water table line and let the water drain with out you having to waste time and money. If you can get one to use.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

ken3G, thanks for a intellegent answer. I didn't know what a subsoiler was, so I googled it and I was able to see a you tube video of one. For the amount of money I would have paid to rent a ditch witch, I can buy one for my tractor. Thanks a million. Do I only make passes in the middle that it holding water or do I do it the whole width of my plot?
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 AM
Fork Horn

Zophy, I am not by any means a farmer. I would have to wonder if you would be better off raising your soil level so you don't end up with a large wash out in your plot through years of errosion? Just a thought.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

To raise a 1 acre food plot up by 1 foot would take at least 82 twenty yard loads of dirt. At an average price around here of $110 a load it would cost $9,020 plus a machine to level the dirt.