Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

NY october planting suggestions?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default NY october planting suggestions?

I have accesss to a bunch of different seed products for wildlife and deer and right now I have a bag or two of tritical, wheat, a wildlife perfect mix (primarily brassica mix), and a high sugar rye grass and clover varietys mix product offered thru sucraseed dot com. . I also Have a bag of rye and buck forage oats. We planted some winter peas and triticale a month ago and it looks good. I am just getting into the food plot thing and was wondering if it was to late for the Buck Forage oats to go in? Or if I should just hold onto the stuff and plant it next year. I am planning on putting in the rye, wheat and tritical for cover crops this weekend.

I also want to plant chickory next year- when is an ideal time for this and what else have you had sucess planting it with?

Last edited by buckclub; 10-13-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

I had read on one of your earlier threads that you are located in NY just north of the PA border? If that is correct then it is getting a little late for oats. The oats are slower to sprout and grow than rye,triticale or wheat and you wouldn't get as much growth before the ground starts to freeze.

Same goes for the brassica mix, but you could take a gamble and "see what happens".

I have planted chicory both in the spring and late summer. I had much better luck with the late summer planting. Weeds can be a real problem with a spring planting. I planted the Puna II type with Alice White Clover and used oats as a nurse crop. Planted the end of Aug.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its too late to expect much from even grains in NY now. You might get some rye or winter wheat growth - but not a lot to support active feeding. Labor day and at most - the week after is as far out as I would plant and expect much in the fall.

Chicory can be seeded in April with clover - the two work well together -
Or in Late August for a plot the next spring/summer.

FH
Old 10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Cold

I,m a lttle farther North in NY and it snowed today .
I,d have to say its a little late to plant this year ..
Old 10-14-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

yup guys
I would have to agree. When I get stuff in, it will be more of a cover crop for vegetables and deer plots and we will plow it under for green manure. I sold some turnips this year and they are doing well but were planted in mid august, and I know it is way to late for the brassica mix I have. I will plan on planting some of the cover crops to save soil and keep the bed weed free til planting some clover/ chickory mixes next year. We have 900 acres to farm, so trying out some of these mixes should be fun but will have to wait till next year. I am excited about some of the high sugar grass mixes that new zealanders and europeans have been using for the last decade. I am working on getting some test plots up in the next year and hope to get as many pictures as possible. My buddy from DE county has some nice ones going we are working on.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Spike

It' a little to late to plant in Northern New York. I have been up in the Buffalo area hunting. Wonderful country! In that area I would suggest to start your planting in early August. I have a friend that has start his plantings the first week of August and he has even started his plantings has early as the last week in July. The mixture he likes to plant is a wheat, ryegrass, clover, peas, oats, and turnips. He has had really good results with this mixture. He purchases it from mikeswildlifefeedersandsupplies.com.