Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

honeysuckle

Old 10-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Deer and other wildlife survived for centuries here without honeysuckle. Consider managing native plant species instead of introducing invasive foreign ones.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
So because land is being lost to development, let’s go ahead and hamper what we have left by planting a very invasive plant that has zero value? THAT is ignorance if I’ve ever heard it. Actually, ignorance implies you don’t know any better. You do, so it’s just plain dumb.
shetzy911, there are numerous plants that benefit wildlife, though exactly which ones would be best depend on the type of habitat you want to plant them in. There are a few fast producing oak trees to choose from, and some soft mast trees that deer love. Blackberry bushes provide decent cover and the deer eat the berries, though I wouldn't consider it all that beneficial or attractive. Lots to choose from that neighboring farmers won't be fighting with 30 years down the road. I'm guessing haystack hasn't spent any time trying to rebuild cattle fence completely covered in Japanese honeysuckle.

Zero value? According to Biologist Chris McDonald and senior wildlife biologist Kent Kammermeyer, it does in fact have value.

"Well managed patches of honeysuckle can produce quality, year-round forage. Honeysuckle is a high quality forage with protein contents ranging from 9 to 20 percent and a digestibility of 75 percent. Protein content is dependent upon season and soil fertility with the highest levels reported during the cooler months of the year. Managed honeysuckle patches have also been reported to produce from 2,480 pounds to over 3,000 pounds of forage per acre. Existing honeysuckle can be managed by simply liming and fertilizing to increase both quantity and quality of the forage. Honeysuckle should be fertilized in early spring and again in early fall with 150 pounds per acre ammonium nitrate and 300 pounds per acre 13-13-13."

I must say that was a very detailed reply to Shetzy as far as "good" alternatives to Japanese Honeysuckle.

And for your information, I raise beef cattle for a living. Own and maintain over 7 miles of fence. If Jap honeysuckle is growing where I don't want it, I kill it. Growing where I want, I fertilize it.

Japanese Honeysuckle has been growing in my area for over 150 years and it's here to stay. It's way down on the list of my worries, very insignificant really.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

The only reason I don't mind Honey suckle on my place is because its grown up on the latice near the garage and the humming birds like it. Humming birds are not much use as pest controllers but they sure are neat to see lookin in our windows.
We like to see em flyin around the house when we are front porch sittin with a glass of lemon aid. Thats about all its gud fer.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

I guess we’ll agree to disagree. There are three things off the top of my head I would never purposely plant, multiflora rose, autumn olive, and Japanese honeysuckle. They all provide a little something for wildlife, but the headaches they cause me far outweigh any benefit they may have. I will say that compared to the other two, honeysuckle is very easy to kill, though it’s still a mess even when dead. I’ll agree that there’s nothing we’ll ever do to get rid of it, and it’s not of huge consequence, but I wouldn’t plant it on purpose.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

The deer are tearing up honeysuckle right now (atleast at our farm). I have 12 minutes of footage from Oct. 15, of them browsing on the honeysuckle directly under and around me. I was hunting a little hidden foot plot against cedars and thick honeysuckle, near a mock scrape. They sniffed and marked the scrape, and continued to eat nothing but honeysuckle until my handycam was out of battery power. Shoot me a pm if ya wanna see the footage.

Honeysuckle is desirable to the deer, maybe not so much humans lol... and as far as how high on the list of "preffered" foods it is, I do not know. But keep in mind this is Ohio county, Indiana and there is nothing but beans, corn, hay, and rolling hills of forest browse for miles in any direction. Obviously they have other choices for food. Granted the beans in the valley directly below our ridge are gone now, but there is a ton of corn still standing and plenty of other options. Tonight we are getting a "killing freeze", which hurts a lot of plants, but is a big plus for the brassicas. The deer are nibbling at the rape, but the next couple hard frosts should have the turnips and other rape plot becoming attractive to the deer..We'll see.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

If you care about the habitat on your hunting property, you will NOT plant Honeysuckle. Honeysuckle causes major headaches and costs taxpayers millions of dollars to control. There is a reason that it is called INVASIVE. It will shade out native shrubs and plants and will leave you with a monoculture of Honeysuckle. Don't forget that deer crave a vast variety of foods, from grasses, to browse, to berries and just about anything else. I can guarantee you that you will do more for your deer population by not planting Honeysuckle that by planting it.