Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

honeysuckle

Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 AM
Spike

Default honeysuckle

Just wondering if anyone plants honeysuckle? If so when do you plant, what species, and where do you buy it from? Im looking to plant in SW VA.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Japanese Honeysuckle is the one best suited for wildlife, deer definitely love it. You should be able to dig some up along roadways or ask a farmer nearby if you can have some, it grows around here by the ton and many people would rather not see it planted. Just choose wisely where you decide to plant it. Spring or Fall will work as far as planting and it is very easy to grow. It can be grown by seed, stem cuttings or transplanting. To get the fastest growth, transplanting is the way to go.

Here's some info on what it looks like.

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/lonja.htm
Old 10-14-2009, 04:05 AM
Typical Buck

Might as well plant some autumn olive and multiflora rose while you’re at it. With so many “good” plants out there, why on earth would someone purposely plant Japanese honeysuckle? Despite what people claim, it’s not that attractive to deer. Sure, they’ll eat it, but it’s pretty low on the list around here.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Deer around here in the south absolutely love the stuff. High in nutrition also. If you were closer by you could get all you want on some fence rows out back. In the winter the deer keep it trimmed up neatly. I've seen it for sale on some wildlife nursery sites, but I would have to look around to find it again.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

DO NOT PLANT HONEYSUCKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am overun with it takes over the woods and chokes the life out of everything better to not have it than to have it. I guess I apparently live about 7 miles from its origin.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by M.Magis
Might as well plant some autumn olive and multiflora rose while you’re at it. With so many “good” plants out there, why on earth would someone purposely plant Japanese honeysuckle? Despite what people claim, it’s not that attractive to deer. Sure, they’ll eat it, but it’s pretty low on the list around here.
Because it is a recommended plant in the south, and SW, VA is in the south.

No doubt it's as many people hate Jap honeysuckle as love it. The state Government of VA hates it, but yet turns a blind eye to the fact that this state has lost 521,000 acres of farmland between 2002-2007. Since 1992 over 615,000 acres of forest land has been lost all mainly due to development, paved over forever. But lets rail and whine over Japanese Honeysuckle? Give me a break! This is the height of IGNORANCE!!!!

Here's some info on Japanese Honeysuckle in the south.

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife...asp?article=61

http://www.qdma.org/articles/details.asp?id=33

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=155&cid=93

Originally Posted by mossberghunter93
DO NOT PLANT HONEYSUCKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am overun with it takes over the woods and chokes the life out of everything better to not have it than to have it. I guess I apparently live about 7 miles from its origin.
Really?? I'm pretty sure it's "origin" is Japan, hence it's name.

I'm also fairly certain it was introduced to North America in NY first. Maybe you're talking about another variety?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack

No doubt it's as many people hate Jap honeysuckle as love it. The state Government of VA hates it, but yet turns a blind eye to the fact that this state has lost 521,000 acres of farmland between 2002-2007. Since 1992 over 615,000 acres of forest land has been lost all mainly due to development, paved over forever. But lets rail and whine over Japanese Honeysuckle? Give me a break! This is the height of IGNORANCE!!!!

Here's some info on Japanese Honeysuckle in the south.

http://www.mdwfp.com/Level2/Wildlife...asp?article=61

http://www.qdma.org/articles/details.asp?id=33

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=155&cid=93

Really?? I'm pretty sure it's "origin" is Japan, hence it's name.

I'm also fairly certain it was introduced to North America in NY first. Maybe you're talking about another variety?
Must be a different variety.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by M.Magis
What other good plants are you refering to? Looking for something Low maintainance and attracts/nutritionally beneficial for deer.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack

So because land is being lost to development, let’s go ahead and hamper what we have left by planting a very invasive plant that has zero value? THAT is ignorance if I’ve ever heard it. Actually, ignorance implies you don’t know any better. You do, so it’s just plain dumb.
shetzy911, there are numerous plants that benefit wildlife, though exactly which ones would be best depend on the type of habitat you want to plant them in. There are a few fast producing oak trees to choose from, and some soft mast trees that deer love. Blackberry bushes provide decent cover and the deer eat the berries, though I wouldn't consider it all that beneficial or attractive. Lots to choose from that neighboring farmers won't be fighting with 30 years down the road. I'm guessing haystack hasn't spent any time trying to rebuild cattle fence completely covered in Japanese honeysuckle.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

honey sukle will grow plentiful, always best to plant whats around you because deer take time to switch eating cycles and wont touch what deer from another area eat all the time...if ya see the deer eatin all the farmers oats, then plant oats...if its corn, well it aint nutritious but thats what they are eating...do ya wanna see deer or are ya managing em.. if ya are managing, well better buy stock in your local seed supply, cause ya gotta do alot of area to get a lot of deer to change from what they are eating to what you are planting. gl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.