Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

My Ideas For Next Year. Help?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Ideas For Next Year. Help?

We own a little plot of land, its about 13 acres. Noone realLy hunts on the piece of property, but every little piece of surrounding property is heavily hunted. The deer use it as a safe haven when they are under pressure.

I have always wanted to put a food plot on this piece of property, but I have never been serious about it until now. I have already bought a soil test kit ( I will do that in the spring).

I guess here start the real questions. I know absolutely ZERO about planting anything. I really need some help on this. Please tell me what I need to do. I mean this is how much I don't know about planting. After I do the pH test, and lets say I need to put 13-13-13 down....how do I freakin put it down?! Just spread it around with a spreader? I have no clue......

Please help me out here. I really need to learn alot, I chose to ask you guys first. Tell me what to do step-by-step from the point after I get the results back from the pH test.

I have friends with four wheeleers, but we dont have much equipment for planting. A spreader is about it. I have one of those motorized tillers. Is that all I need?

I was thinking of planting like a three or four zone plot. Maybe a little plot with BioMaxx, another some kind of beans (what kind would you plant?), another maybe some alfa-alfa ( what brand?).

Anything else you feel the need to bring up, please do...I need alot of help

Here's a picture of the little plot of land.

Blue- a spring
White- Property lines

Thanks fellas.
Attached Thumbnails My Ideas For Next Year. Help?-shop-default-asdfadsf.jpg  
Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Really? cmon guys, help me out.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 AM
Banned

plotting is FFFUUUNNNNNNNNN!!!! lol
need to till all 13 acres lol..

just start with a small piece, right around that spring, maybe an acre..if your a mans man....go small at 1st...5 yards wide by 50 yards long...you and your buddies taking turns tilling it nice and deep...take sharp stuff as you will be spending more time cutting the vegetation outta the tiller than you will be tilling the ground.

dont just assume you need 13-13-13...get your soil sample today..might need to add chemicals to make the ground ideal for what you are planting and might need some sitting time...take the soil test results to a local fertilizer store...dont go to home depot!!!these guys will need to know exactly what you are planting to give you the right amount to put down..usually by i.e. 20 lbs 13-13-13 per acre..youll have ta do the math yourself.

make sure you have a way to water this plot..you just spent over $300 in stuff, dont cut it short now..do all the work, go out on a rainy day and plant it..i mean 3 rainy days in a row..grey and gloomy, you know the days I'm talking bout...or like i did, rent a gas powered water pump and hoses and stay fer a 3-4 day weekend and water twice a day..if you sluff the water, you wasted $300..water water water!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Take your soil test as soon as possible. Knowing the pH will help you plan what to plant this year. There is no point in trying to plant alfalfa into a low pH soil, or a soil that has standing water. That will fail, and you will be disappointed. You have plenty of time before planting, so test the soil and spend some time planning. If you have a local Gander Mountain, check them out. The one here rents food plot equipment. Most local tool/equipment rental stores also have equipment that may help you plant your food plot. Feel free to ask for more advice when you get your soil results back.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys.

But maybe I wasn't clear on my main question.

I need to learn about just planting in general. What do I do step by step.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Fork Horn

Step 1: Take your soil sample.

Step 2: Plan- lots of planning. You can plan what to plant once you know what the soil will support. You will also need to plan for lime (maybe) and fertilizer applications, spraying existing weeds, and tillage. Find out what is available in your area for supplies, what your buddies can help you with, and how much do you want to spend. Buy your seeds, and determine the optimal planting time for them.

Step 3: Months from now, when the weeds green up and about 1 week before you plan to plant, you will probably want to spray with round-up. 1 qt/a will probably work since you are tilling the plots, especially if you are planting round-up ready soybeans.

Step 4: Apply any lime you may need, and fertilizer. Till the soil, then prepare a nice firm seed bed.

Step 5: Plant your seeds at the proper time, and at the proper depth.

Step 6: Watch for weeds, and determine if you can spray them out.

Step 7: More planning. See what worked and what didn't. What did the deer eat? Did the crop you hoped would be there for deer season survive and draw deer? Fall spray any nasty weeds in annuals. Start thinking about what you will do next year.

Planning is the critical part. Do some online research, ask buddies what they do, talk to local people you know who farm/garden. The soil sample will help you determine what you may need for lime & fertilizer, what will grow best for you this year, and then you can see if that works with your budget. There is a lot of art in growing food plots. You can be successful many different ways, and fail many different ways. If you have fun with it, have a plan, work at it, and go in with reasonable expectations, you can not really fail.