Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

frost 2 early ?????????

Old 10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Spike

Default frost 2 early ?????????

I got in about 1/3 acre of biologic green patch plus which is alot of brassica, on Wed the 30th. I just looked at the extended forecast for here in southeastern Indiana farm country and they are calling for lows down to 30 on the 11th and down to 31 on the 12th!!!
Is that going to kill any germination and growing that is going on?
Old 10-05-2009, 04:14 AM
Typical Buck

It isn't going to help, that's for sure. Brassicas will still grow some after a frost, not like htey would in warm weather. Typically brassicas are planted late July or early August for maximum growth. You could get a nice stand if planted into early Sept., but late September isn't going to give you time for much growth.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Magis, brassicas should be planted at least 30 days before frost, if not 60 to 90. Light frost will not have any effect on brassica seedlings though and if I'm not mistaken green patch plus has got wheat and oats in it also which will keep growing just fine with frost and cool weather, especially the wheat.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

You'll be ok with that planting - but you wont have much Brassica or clover growth. The cereal grains will pretty much dominate in cool weather and will grow fine. In Indiana - you probably still get decent Brassica growth - up to 8" I'd guess.