Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Anyone know what this upper state NY shrub is?? >

Anyone know what this upper state NY shrub is??

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Anyone know what this upper state NY shrub is??

Old 09-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone know what this upper state NY shrub is??

To the hivemind/braintrus:

I have this growing in the edges of most of my fields and it seems the deer are not browsing on it at all. Does it have any wildlife value. Thanks, Rob

Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's Autumn Olive. It's a widespread shrub that I don't think has much value to deer. Birds and bears love them though.

Here's a bit of info if it is Autumn Olive.

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-321/420-321.html
Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Methinks you are right!!!! It's growing everywhere. Sounds like I may have to thin it back. Wonder in the grouse turkey or squirrels like the stuff??
Old 09-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, lots of wildlife species feed on it for certain, including the three you mentioned. It seems it all depends on where you are located whether it gets frowned upon or desired. I do believe it has a tendency to take over and crowd out more favorable native species, but kept under control, some is worth having IMO. It produces berries every year no matter what the weather has been.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

when I fist opened the post - thought for sure it was going to be Morrow's honeysuckle:

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/lomo.html

http://www.threatsummary.forestthrea...m?threatID=157

we have tons & tons of it. Its likely you have it too - though your picture does look more like Autumn Olive (we don' t have that on our property).

Deer and most other animals do not eat Morrow's Honeysuckle. it makes good rabbit cover, but even rabbits won't eat the bark.

FH

Last edited by farm hunter; 09-25-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

I have this as well.....I think its firethorn..

Old 09-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

and this ... not sure what it is
Old 09-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

The last pic I believe is Grey Dogwood.

I'm not real sure, but could the other pic be some type of Barberry? Sorry for the HUGE pic.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I think its Barberry. Is there any wildlife value to this other than cover, maybe berries????
Old 09-28-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guys were correct, the first picture is autumn olive (Elaeagnus umbellata), the second is barberry of some sort (Berberis spp.) and the last is gray dogwood (Cornus racemosa). All three provide good cover for many wildlife species and are mostly eaten by birds and squirrels. The autumn olive berries should have white specs all over them and they are actually very good to eat yourself. Everytime I see autumn olive I pluck a bunch of berries off and eat them, there are some that are rather chalky but most are tasty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.