Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Wildlife Management / Food Plots
Iron clay peas and lab lab mix pics. >

Iron clay peas and lab lab mix pics.

Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Iron clay peas and lab lab mix pics.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default Iron clay peas and lab lab mix pics.

I went to plant a clover/chicory/oats blend for a guy last week, and got a chance to see the iron clay peas and lab lab I planted for him back in the spring. I think it turned out pretty good.

Deer were really hitting them, but they took the pressure pretty well. I was worried about overgrazing, it was only a 1 acre plot on heavy red clay with no agriculture for over a mile in any direction.

Last edited by hossdaniels; 09-13-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow.. That is a lot of food, I bet your deer are happy

Nicely done
Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

That ought to be one satisfied customer there Hoss! Very nice.

How many #s of each did you plant on that acre?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

If I recall it was 50 lbs cowpeas with 25 lbs of lab lab. I saw it soon after it came up and I think I could have cut the rate by 20-30% and been fine, but better safe than sorry. I was thinking a little extra might help the beans get established, but in reality that never has worked. If they are going to get them, they are going to get them(atleast with soybeans).
Old 09-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Looks dang near perfect to me. I might give that combo a try next year. By the looks of that, could even be some pods the deer could feed on after frost maybe.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy cow! That looks awesome! And I can see the "crop circles" where the deer have been gorging.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is a great patch of peas. At one place we have about a half acre of cowpeas in two plots. There are so many deer on that place that the peas grew to about 10 inches high and no higher. The stalks are still growing and the deer are still hitting those pea patches.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Spike

Default iron clay peas

I Planted a little over an acre of iron clay peas with a mix of wheat rye and oats they are killing the iron clay peas they have eatin all the tops off my wifes food plot at three weeks they are eight inches. I heard they keep putting leaves on after the tops have been eaten does anyone have any encounters like this?By the way this is Southeast Texas so I still have a little time before they freeze
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you mix a little sorgum or corn with it they will climb up and look even better to me. Lots of good feed for the deer.