Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Brassica plots (Updated Sept. 30)

Old 09-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brassica plots (Updated Sept. 30)

First 2 pics are the turnips..Purple Tops and Seven Tops.

Another little plot I planted for my little brother back in the woods. A stand was hung here about a month ago. It curls around in a half circle that I brush-hogged in late winter.

Some rape, berseem clover, and a few turnips thrown in there.

Overall I am pretty happy with how things are coming along. Bow season is close, I can't wait. Good luck to all of you this fall...

Last edited by bowmanaj; 09-30-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

Good looking plots there! You should have a good year.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Both of you two (Bowman and Hoss) have some really nice looking plots. I can see the deer will be eating well around your properties.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, much appreciated. You all helped the learning curve a lot! Trust me
Old 09-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Typical Buck

You're starting to get some serious tonnage now Bowman! Very healthy looking stuff.

In the plot you put in for your brother, did you till that first or sow directly into the dead grass? Also, the plot with the Berseem clover, I'm very surprised the brassicas have not smothered it out. It's very tricky growing the two together. I don't think clover would have ever competed in first plot, so did you cut back the seed rate with the clover mix or what?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by haystack
You're starting to get some serious tonnage now Bowman! Very healthy looking stuff.

In the plot you put in for your brother, did you till that first or sow directly into the dead grass? Also, the plot with the Berseem clover, I'm very surprised the brassicas have not smothered it out. It's very tricky growing the two together. I don't think clover would have ever competed in first plot, so did you cut back the seed rate with the clover mix or what?
I didn't till that little plot, just sprayed it and later broadcasted during a steady rain. The only reason the berseem clover is in there is cuz I threw the rest of a bag of "secret spot" in with some turnips and I am also very surprised the clover is growing at all. Based on what the little bag contents say, the only thing really doing well is the rape. But i agree, the berseem wouldn't have had a chance in the purple tops and seven tops I don't think.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Good deal. Thanks for the info! Keep us updated and good luck!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

THAT, is an awesome plot, good luck with it!!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful plot!

PLEASE answer this question......What in the heck is your secret to keeping weeds controlled. There are no weeds at all in your plots! Please help me because I cant ever get plots to be weed-free.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks great! I can only hope that my plot looks half as decent as yours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.