HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Fall Food Plot is in..Before and After (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/302733-fall-food-plot-before-after.html)

elkhuntinut 09-06-2009 08:42 AM

Fall Food Plot is in..Before and After

Well went to check on the Shot Plot today briefly and hung a stand that I will hunt mid November in NY. This plot is our acre plot. Now I thought they would hit this stuff after a frost, but they are using it now..not sure as to why other than maybe some of other growth ???? Anyone have experience with these late planted plots (Shot Plot or similar) ??

BEFORE - 2 Acres of Shot Plot

AFTER

2 Acres of Whitetail Chicory

haystack 09-06-2009 05:35 PM

Very nice looking plots!!! The Chicory plot is absolutely awesome!

I have planted generic turnips and rape, but not Shot Plot. It is usually the last thing the deer will eat around here Dec-Jan, but right now I'm in a severe drought and the deer are nipping the turnips some now. It doesn't look like you're all that dry, so maybe they just like those varieties, most likely the rape. With two acres, you've got a lot of high quality forage that should last most of the hunting season. Good Luck and Great job having food plots that nice!!

elkhuntinut 09-07-2009 03:43 AM

We have had a good amount of rain this summer to help along with these plots. I am amazed at how good both of these plots have come. I would of never thought it would of done this well. I have seen some other plots this year not do so well, but they did take a few shortcuts to save a few $$$$

Originally Posted by haystack (Post 3432101)
Very nice looking plots!!! The Chicory plot is absolutely awesome!

I have planted generic turnips and rape, but not Shot Plot. It is usually the last thing the deer will eat around here Dec-Jan, but right now I'm in a severe drought and the deer are nipping the turnips some now. It doesn't look like you're all that dry, so maybe they just like those varieties, most likely the rape. With two acres, you've got a lot of high quality forage that should last most of the hunting season. Good Luck and Great job having food plots that nice!!

Hoyt_Viper 09-11-2009 08:03 PM

Wait til next year, its gonna go off in mid spring. Second year on that stuff is amazing!

hossdaniels 09-12-2009 09:55 AM

elkhuntinut, those are great looking plots! No shortcuts pays off again!

elkhuntinut 09-12-2009 07:34 PM

Here is a question, how well do the deer hit the Shot Plot during the archery and early gun season ? Seems like the traffic there has picked up now more than it was prior to the planting

hossdaniels 09-13-2009 03:26 AM

I think the chicory will be the better draw early. There has to be a good hard freeze before the shot plot gets really good to them, probably not a problem up there in PA like it is down here. Sometimes its december before we get a good freeze and our season is over January 1.

elkhuntinut 09-13-2009 03:50 PM

Here are some pics from today...

Good growth in one week

Close up of only god knows what.

Trail coming into the food plot from the East. Notice the trail to the left of the center trees

mossberghunter93 09-15-2009 05:49 AM

wow that plot loooks great

lone cedar farm 09-19-2009 08:06 AM

You guys did an awesome job on those plots they should really pay off for you!!! some of the best I've seen!