Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Buck Forage Oats

Old 08-29-2009, 11:52 AM
tf
Spike

Default Buck Forage Oats

Have any of you planted the Buckforage Oats? Do you feel they are a good product or a bunch of hype? Do you know the price? I'm needing enough to plant about 3/4 of an acre. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:08 PM
Spike

They sell it here at the sporting goods store where I live 50 pounds for $20 something. Get on their website to see where you can get it.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

It runs closer to $30 a bag here and they call for 100lbs per acre. I used it last year with good results and Im trying biologics trophy oats this year.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:31 PM
tf
Spike

Why are you switching? Is the Biologic cheaper?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Spike

Here in S.W. MO.they are pretty good for cold tolerance.the deer are still hitting them good in late december.$28.00 a bag.100-120 lbs an acre.I got 200lbs to plant next week they also re-seed themselves fairly weel the next fall if you brush-hog and disk in.Hope this helps.By the way Aug. 25 first deer out of velvet!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been planting them for 4 or 5 years and in a couple of weeks I'll be planting them again. I mix about 40 pounds of wheat with 50 pounds of BFO and have excellent results. I plant the seeds heavier than recommended because of the dang turkeys pulling the little plants up. I don't know where you are located, but I like to overseed the plots with Yucci Arrowleaf clover. It will start coming up in late Dec down here and provides good forage in the late winter/spring time when the does are pregnant and the bucks are finishing up the rut.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have any of you planted the Buckforage Oats?
Yes, i tried them and they did ok. However, feed oats do just as well and maybe a little better in this area. Feed oats cost about $10 per 50 pound bag.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the buck forage oats every year. I have tried feed oats and bob oats, but when the temps went below freezing for a few days they turned yellow and deer stopped eating them thats when I switched to buck forage oats and have had no problem.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I decided to try the biolic brand mainly because when it came time for me to plant my food plots no one had the buck forage oats yet so I just picked up the biologic brand. Its about the same price so I figured I would give it a try.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

If you can find "Coker 227" oats they are nearly identical to BFO except much cheaper.

Coker 227 Seed Oats
"
Great fall and winter food source for deer and other wildlife. 50 lb. bag covers 1/2/ acre or plant one bag of Seed Oats on an acre and cover 1 inch; then sow 20 lbs of yucci arrowleaf clover on top and do not cover. This is also a great mix for sandy soils."

.75 per lb. 50 lb. bag $18.50.

http://www.cooperseeds.com/pages/deer/fwindividual.html