HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   will it grow?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/301507-will-grow.html)

bassman417 08-24-2009 06:29 AM

will it grow??

Never planted a plot before. Theres an area where I hunt that recently had a few trees taken out. It seems to get somewhat moderate sunlight and there is short weeds pretty much starting to grow with the recent rain and cooler temps not frying them. I bought some Evolved Habitats Shot Plot and raked up the ground a bit and broadcast the seed. Its in the middle of the woods but its on a southeast hillside. I walked over the area the best I could to push the seed into the dirt. The mix is mainly turnip, brassicas, and rape I believe. So with the minimal effort I did my question is........ Will it grow?? I planted it yesterday and rain forcasted for Wed. or Thurs.

cleveland5 08-24-2009 06:39 AM

id say yes but only time will tell.

hossdaniels 08-24-2009 08:06 AM

Did you put any lime and fertilizer?

SWThomas 08-24-2009 09:58 AM

I'm sure it will grow but probably not the way you expect. I guarantee you that area is too acidic for good growth and the deer will have it mowed down before it even starts. Especially since there use to be trees there. All the leaves that fell off those trees fell to the ground and rotted. When vegetation rots it creates acid. That is why lime is needed to neutralize the acid before planting. Otherwise, the acid in the soil will hinder your plants in absorbing nutrients like Nitrogen, Potassium, and Phosphorus that they need to grow. And that would also be why fertilizer is important for good plot growth. Some people can get by without liming or fertilizing and some can't.

I wish you the best and hope your plot explodes but more than likely, it won't.

bassman417 08-24-2009 10:44 AM

the trees that used to be there were pines, I dont know if that makes a difference on acidity. also the landowner logged an area a couple years ago and put clover in to keep the weeds down. he just broadcast the seeds like i did and the clover took off, so Im hoping to have as good of luck as he did.

SWThomas 08-24-2009 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by bassman417 (Post 3417982)
the trees that used to be there were pines, I dont know if that makes a difference on acidity. also the landowner logged an area a couple years ago and put clover in to keep the weeds down. he just broadcast the seeds like i did and the clover took off, so Im hoping to have as good of luck as he did.

Well then maybe you have good soil in that area. You really won't know for sure unless you take a soil sample and have it read. But like I said, I wish you the best and hope your plot thrives.

bassman417 08-27-2009 12:05 AM

I had to move one of my trailcams today and change the batteries in another and decided to visit the area I "planted." Well I put the seed down on Sunday and today is Wednesday and it hadnt rained a drop. However!!! The heavy dew in the morning have caused the seeds to split and take root and I have small patches of 1/4'' tall plants!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what they are though. They have 2 small lobed looking leaves, almost like a clover leaf. And now for the even better news........about an hour after I left it started to rain. It rained for about 40 mins then cleared off til dark and now its raining again. Not a heavy rain but just perfect for tiny plants to not drown.

haystack 08-27-2009 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by bassman417 (Post 3421310)
I had to move one of my trailcams today and change the batteries in another and decided to visit the area I "planted." Well I put the seed down on Sunday and today is Wednesday and it hadnt rained a drop. However!!! The heavy dew in the morning have caused the seeds to split and take root and I have small patches of 1/4'' tall plants!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what they are though. They have 2 small lobed looking leaves, almost like a clover leaf. And now for the even better news........about an hour after I left it started to rain. It rained for about 40 mins then cleared off til dark and now its raining again. Not a heavy rain but just perfect for tiny plants to not drown.

Good job describing all brassica's, turnips, rape, kale etc.

Good luck with your plot. Here's a pic of brassica seedlings.

bassman417 08-27-2009 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by haystack (Post 3422314)
Good job describing all brassica's, turnips, rape, kale etc.

Good luck with your plot. Here's a pic of brassica seedlings.

LOL I didnt know thats how they all looked from the start. But that pic is exactly what I saw growing and about the same size too.