HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Wildlife Management / Food Plots (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots-11/)
-   -   Turnip plot pics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/wildlife-management-food-plots/301471-turnip-plot-pics.html)

bowmanaj 08-23-2009 04:51 PM

Turnip plot pics

This is a little turnip plot (purple-tops and seven-tops) tucked back in a corner, planted on Aug. 8...I started working on the soil after turkey season to get the ph better and soil looser.

I seeded a little heavy in hopes of bigger greens than roots, but they were given plenty of fertilizer so I'm not too worried. I did have a little problem with a 2-day constant downpour moving seed around right after planting, but I re-broadcasted some seed into bare patches later. I'll side dress them with some more nitrate (34-0-0) and triple 13 in a couple weeks. I'm staying out of the area for now, because the buck in my avatar hangs out very close to this spot. Good luck to you all this fall... :happy0001:

Haystack--I appreciate the info and suggestions on brassicas, it definitely helped.. I'm going to try appin forage turnips next year also.

Some white clover on other side of farm. Mowing has helped but it is still fighting grass. The deer don't seem to mind though, only me lol...

J Pike 08-23-2009 05:02 PM

Great looking plots!! I planted 2 + acres of Shot Plot, purple top turnips and oats last weekend, I hope my plot looks as good as yours does after only being planted for 2 weeks!! great Job. Pike

haystack 08-23-2009 05:48 PM

Bowman: Maybe I should ask you for turnip growing info, I planted mine 2 weeks before you and mine don't look that good! Bugs had just about destroyed mine before I sprayed also.

They truly are some of the nicest I've ever seen at 2 weeks!! I believe you've got a green thumb. :happy0001:

bowmanaj 08-23-2009 06:43 PM

Thanks guys but I owe it to lot of extra fertilizer left over from spring... And some good tips from a bunch of people on here.
--Haystack, I also had bugs tearing them up pretty bad, and then a couple straight days of rain came and it seemed like the bugs just stopped. I'm not sure though.

Happy hunting, the countdown is on! :party0005:

The Outdoorsman 08-26-2009 08:36 AM

good looking plots!!!! just got ours in on one property last week and finishing up the other property this weekend.

SWThomas 08-26-2009 01:25 PM

Looks awesome!

crabclaw 08-26-2009 05:20 PM

Those are some awesome looking plots Bowman. I hope you are able to connect with that buck in your avatar. Good luck.

Soilman 08-26-2009 05:38 PM

Great job with the plots. It is always nice to see hard work payoff.

Rebel Hog 08-26-2009 06:39 PM

Very Nice!!!!!...........Best Of Luck!!

gregrn43 08-26-2009 10:36 PM

Good looking turnips, them deer should start tearing them up after a good hard frost.