Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

Mineral block from Tractor Supply?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Spike

I started using Imperial 30-06 in April and I can't keep enough there.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

What about this one from TSC. It has alot of calcium for antler growth:

Producer's Pride® General Purpose Mineral Block is designed to provide needed minerals and vitamins, including salt, to mixed herds containing sheep grazing pasture, rangeland, or drylot forages. Provides the critical vitamins and minerals needed to support optimal health, reproduction and growth, providing, what is often lacking or unbalanced in native pastures and forages. It contains no added copper and is appropriate for all classes and ages of sheep. When feeding beef or non-lactating dairy cattle or goats alone, an additional source of copper may be warranted.
Ingredients:
Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium phosphate, Cane Molasses, Wheat Meddlings, Magnesium Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Ferric Oxide, Vitamin E Supplement, Ethylenediamine Dehydriodide, Vitamin A Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Sodium Molyboate, Calcium Iodate, Ferrous Carbonate, Sodium Selenite.

or this

Last edited by Robertesq1; 05-09-2010 at 03:55 PM. Reason: add image
Old 04-26-2010, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you hunt in an area that pastures a lot of cattle your results with mineral and salt may not be good at all. i often hunt in a huge area that has no cattle, salt works well there.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
If you hunt in an area that pastures a lot of cattle your results with mineral and salt may not be good at all. i often hunt in a huge area that has no cattle, salt works well there.

This is very true, deer will use cattle salt/mineral sites along with the cattle or when the cows are off in another part of the field.

Deer will even use those sites long after the cattle have been removed and no salt has been put out for years, depending on how long the site was used as a salt station, soil type and how much salt leached into the soil.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

it seems here the salt blocks go faster..but the brown one did go soon after the white one
Old 05-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Spike

hey everyone, 1st post, just wanted to comment on the blocks from tsc, well long story short i spent the 7 bucks 5 years ago broke it into smaller peices, and dug 3-4 small holes and put a few in each to be covered, they didnt show much sign of usage that year but next there was one big hole about 3ft in diameter, and 3-4 inces deep the next spring and over the years they've dug up the roots to the tree's, deepening the hole couple inches a year, all this in super black dirt from a dried swamp 20-30yrs ago but anyway's i was impresses for 7 dollars and little sweat...
Old 05-09-2010, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I started using the Producers Pride & Dumar general purpose Mineral blocks from TSC. The deer hammer them from spring through summer. I figure if your going to put something out it should be beneficial for deer, and not just a salt attractant. Those blocks work very well. My trail cam pics show the blocks being used heavily, until their gone, then the deer hit the dirt. But I will usually put out another soon.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have some Rabon Pressed blocks in the shed Can anyone tell me what they are and can they be used for deer. The are used for:

A free-choice supplement block for cattle & horses. For control of fecal flies in the manure of treated cattle and horses. Prevents development of face flies, horn flies, house flies and stable flies in the manure of treated cattle and prevents development of house flies and stable flies in the manure of treated horses
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

From my experience the blocks take a long time to work. The key is to get the mineral mixed with the dirt asap. Using blocks it takes much longer for the rain to dissolve them. Use the mineral in a bag and mix it in the dirt and you will see much better results. Also as mentioned before, not much use putting any out from Oct to Dec, at least in my territory. This is a much cheaper way of bringing them in compared to attractants with pictures of big bucks on em.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bigwhitetailbuck
I bought this mineral block from the Tractor Supply Co. Two days ago and put it out on my property... http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/...g=true&cFlag=1

I heard the trophy rock and other mineral blocks work really well... Do you think this will work just like all of the other mineral blocks? The reason im asking this is because its made for cattle. Ive never tried mineral blocks before.. Do you think the deer will like this? How long will it be before they really start licking at it?
I put the same block out 4 weeks ago and the deer are wearin it out!,,,,i planted some food plots last saturday and i was really surprised at how small the block got in 4 weeks,,,and their really workin the dirt up around it,,,,i'll post some before and after pics this weekend