Community
Wildlife Management / Food Plots This forum is about all wildlife management including deer, food plots, land management, predators etc.

What's your deer cover??

Old 01-24-2002, 10:20 AM

Default What's your deer cover??

What cover do you have for deer on your place and if you could change it what would you go with? I have new aspen growth with pines and spruce planted in the middle. I would like about 20 acres of cedar swamp on mine.....marty
Old 01-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What's your deer cover??

I have laurels on my land, and I can't stand them. The deer never come out of them, and you can walk through them, or even see into them.

If I had my choice, I'd pick a brush field or a stand of Pines & Ceders
Old 01-24-2002, 11:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some heavy brush and some replanted forest clearcuts .
Old 01-25-2002, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Old 01-25-2002, 07:57 AM

Anybody plant prairie grass (a.k.a. buffalo grass) ?? I hate bird hunting in the stuff and it grows over five feet tall.
Old 01-25-2002, 08:20 AM

I have pines with some mix hardwoods. The hardwoods have white and red oak, maple and poplar as the predominant trees. I have left the understore growth in the pines and have a nice tangle of greenbriar mixed throughout the pines. This provides excellent bedding and browse area for the deer. I have a spring fed pond with 2 1/2 acres of food plots and in one corner there is about 20 acres used for agriculture. One of the things I would like to change is that one of my food plots (1.5 acres) is in the corner of the agricultural field next to some cover but still too visable to a main road. I would like to plant something eventually to seperate the food plot from the other field some the deer will feel more secure using it more during the day.
Old 01-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got the ultimate deer cover. It's so good it's murder to hunt. I've got 40 acres of cattail - maple swamp. There are small dry areas that the deer bed in throughout it. The cattails are 5-6' tall and thick. No one walks through it, so the deer are never bothered. When they come out of the swamp they have 100' of spruce-cedars and shrubs for travel ways along the water edge. Then the whole area is next to a 320 acre of no hunting education center on 2 sides and 8,000 acres of lake/wildlife forest and impenetrable swamp with islands on the other. It makes life interesting.

Dan O.
Old 01-25-2002, 12:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2002, 10:01 AM

Very interesting the different types of cover. My cover is somewhat limited at the time although I have almost five thousand trees planted with mostly white red pines along with blue norway and white spruce. I just found a place where I can get unlimted balsam trees that I'm trying out.

I planted some switchgrass last year but problem being here too dry. The droughts have been hard for the last few years. I find red pines work the best in open sun but can be put in the shade but it make growth slower. White pine grow good but deer browse on them a lot on the winter.

Anyone have any idea how long switch grass takes to get say 5 foot?? Thanks...marty